135 watt twin into bassVI/bass recording amp!

Bandmaster, Bassman, Champ, Concert, Deluxe, Harvard, Princeton, Pro, Super, Tremolux, Twin, Vibrasonic, Vibrolux, Vibroverb and others

135 watt twin into bassVI/bass recording amp!

Postby Mr Benn on Wed Nov 23, 2016 8:53 am

Hi guys,

I recently acquired a very beaten up old silverface fender twin very cheap
Because of its terrible condition, the speakers look shot and
There's loads of parts missing, it's also the much hated and apparently sterile sounding 135watt version!
but I have an idea.
I've recently got a pawn shop bass VI and I love the thing but
I feel I'm not getting the best from it ampwise.
I also have a P bass with no amp suitable for even low volume use at home.

My idea is to make a new 15" baffle and install a peavey scorpion 15" from a broken bass amp that we have in the house
Also to possibly pull two of the 6L6's and rebias it to use it as my home recording bass/baritone amp.

Would anyone have some advice for me?

Worthwhile mods??

Thanks in advance
Keith
Mr Benn
Peasant

Re: 135 watt twin into bassVI/bass recording amp!

Postby Mr Benn on Sat Nov 26, 2016 5:31 pm

ImageFender silverface Twin by mechanicalapple, on Flickr

here you can see how rough the condition it is!!
Mr Benn
Peasant

Postby Vortexion on Sat Nov 26, 2016 11:00 pm

Re. pulling two of the 6L6s - two things you may already be aware of, but FWIW:

1. It would only make the amp 3dB quieter (assuming, of course, that the old speakers and the Peavey 15" have similar sensitivity/efficiency performance)

2. It would double the impedance of the output stage, so if you want optimal speaker impedance matching you'd have to take this into account. I believe the combined impedance of the original paralleled speakers is 4 Ohms, so with only two 6L6s is use, you'd be best to run the amp into an 8 Ohm speaker.

Also, merely sticking a 15" speaker on the end of it won't necessarily make it a good bass amp. No harm in trying, of course - it might sound marvellous! - but be aware that its OPT may not necessarily be able to handle the kind of low end transients a bass guitar generates.

Not that I'm trying to rain on your parade or nuffink! :wink:
Vortexion
Newt

Postby Dean Jr. on Tue Nov 29, 2016 10:44 pm

Imho, that amp would make a great amp for the BAss VI....which is more of a baritone than a bass guitar, correct? OF course, one would want to make sure that the amp is running up to snuff....caps, good general service, etc. The 135 watt ULTR has the stiff capacitance needed, and that UL OT is made for keeping that type of instrument under control.
You don't say what speakers are in the amp. Some EVL's make it happen. I don't see any reason to go to a 15"...unless you have an EVL 15 lying around. Yes, if you pull two tubes you want to run an 8 ohm load against the OT.
Dean Jr.
Page

Return to Fender