1957 Fender Virbolux

Bandmaster, Bassman, Champ, Concert, Deluxe, Harvard, Princeton, Pro, Super, Tremolux, Twin, Vibrasonic, Vibrolux, Vibroverb and others

1957 Fender Virbolux

Postby morrisbbbmb on Fri Dec 16, 2016 1:10 am

Had this for awhile. The issue I'm having with it is when I play it sometimes, more often than not, it will have a static radio sound coming through the speaker. It sometimes quits when I stop playing, and sometimes it lingers on a short bit, after I'm done playing. When I got it I had the main electrolytic caps replaced, and the capacitor that runs the vibrato circuit was as well. Other than that it is all original. Does anyone have an idea of what could be causing this, or is it something I would have my amp tech check out? Didn't know if it was as simple as cleaning the connections to the speaker, input, or tubes, or if it was something more than that. Any suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks
B
morrisbbbmb
Court Jester

Re: 1957 Fender Virbolux

Postby stratele52 on Sat Dec 17, 2016 3:41 pm

Did you ear radio when no guitar plug to the amp, nothing plug, no wire, no pedal, just the amp ?

1- If yes ; you ear radio; check if amp input jack's contact to ground are dirty or broken. If they are, the act like antenna.
Did your amp have a 3 prong cord ? If yes, house outlet ground are good ?
If no 3 prong, this might be the issue.

2-If no, hear no radio ; check your guitar, wire.... ; ground issue
stratele52
Knight

Postby Jonhy_Greenwood on Tue Jan 03, 2017 11:27 am

Did you tryed knocking gentely the load resistors of all the stages with a chopstick?
Jonhy_Greenwood
Peasant

Postby stratele52 on Tue Jan 03, 2017 11:40 am

Jonhy_Greenwood wrote:Did you tryed knocking gentely the load resistors of all the stages with a chopstick?

Morrisbbbmb
There are lethal voltage in a tubes amp, don't open it if you don't know what you do.
stratele52
Knight

Postby pdf64 on Tue Jan 03, 2017 1:40 pm

Try the amp with a different speaker cab, or a different amp through that speaker; a bad speaker can give the impression that something is wrong with the amp.
My band:-http://www.youtube.com/user/RedwingBand
pdf64
Knight

Postby morrisbbbmb on Sun Jan 22, 2017 4:32 pm

Been awhile since I got back to this site, but I did do somethings to check out the static, or radio type of static the amp is making. I hooked it up to another speaker and it it still made the same sound. The I did do the chopstick to the caps and no noise came out when I did that. Took it to my amp tech and he did the same thing with no result. So, that has been double checked all of the caps, and read what they were putting out. He said they were all fine, and with in a range of what they were supposed to be. He did get some sound when touching one of the power tubes (they are original to the amp). So I did switch those out with another set of 6v6 I had. Still got the same sound. Initially I did try to clean out the inout jacks, but I ran out of the spray your supposed to use for that. I probably need to do that over again.

I have found out that I don't get the sound when playing softly, but when I stum harder I get the sound and it extends out when I finish playing a bit. My amp tech said it could be in input where the tube connects to. (what it is called escapes me right now). If the next cleaning of the input jacks doesn't work I will have to take it to the amp tech again to check the connections again.
morrisbbbmb
Court Jester

Postby Unit_1 on Sun Jan 22, 2017 7:16 pm

My 68 sfdr did this, I changed the two prong cord for a 3 prong

at the same time I started using mogami instrument cable

noise gone!
The ability to play/make music is a gift that not everyone gets. Those of us who have it should use it.

Asimov:Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today — but the core of science fiction, its essence, the concept around which it revolves, has become crucial to our salvation if we are to be saved at all.
Unit_1
Prince

Location: Kali4ñia (a small planet orbiting the west coast of the United States)

Return to Fender