Early SF Showman score?

Bandmaster, Bassman, Champ, Concert, Deluxe, Harvard, Princeton, Pro, Super, Tremolux, Twin, Vibrasonic, Vibrolux, Vibroverb and others

Early SF Showman score?

Postby Denton on Fri Jan 06, 2017 2:40 am

Hello all.. former short time member who lost my password and username so I'm starting from scratch. Anyway, I just bought a silverface Showman today. I didn't need it, but a local store is downsizing and selling gear cheap! Anyway, I have started digging a little deeper into exactly what I have and think I might have gotten really lucky. From all I can tell after a couple hours of research, I believe I have found a very early example - an AB763. Can anyone confirm with this info? Can't seem to post pics.

Ink Stamp looks to be 50th week of 1967

Black lines on faceplate

Cloth wiring

No big brown caps

Fender experts...is this a blackface in silverface clothes??
Denton
Peasant

Re: Early SF Showman score?

Postby Baron Von Machinenmann on Sun Jan 08, 2017 2:09 pm

Pics should be listed on Photobucket etc. and linked to here. :wink:
ImageImageImage

John Lennon/Jimi Hendrix/Jimmy Page Fan
Baron Von Machinenmann
Administrator of Mirth

Postby OldSchoolDave on Sun Jan 08, 2017 3:58 pm

Denton wrote:Anyway, I just bought a silverface Showman today. I didn't need it...

Since when does NEED have anything to do with it ;) ?

As the Baron said, it'd be difficult to make any substantial claims about your Showman without detailed pics. That said, the first batch of Silverface Fenders did have the Black Lines on the panel and typically the word "AMP" in the model name.

I bought a similar ('68) Showman that had been totally Orange Dropped. Since it wasn't a museum piece, I restored it with proper Blue Molded caps, biased it to run 6V6 output tubes and slapped it into a 1 x 15" aftermarket combo cab I'd scored a few years earlier (with JBL D130F). It's a fire breathing beast now - but at less than paint-peeling SPL's.

Dave
...Hey! I played that song when it was new...
http://www.OldSchoolDave.com
OldSchoolDave
Prince

Postby Denton on Sun Jan 08, 2017 10:37 pm

Well I opened it up and date code on chassis is 50th week of '67. Cloth wiring, no brown caps coming off the power tubes, and full of those blue caps! I have a Photobucket account that I used to use. I'll try to post pics.

Great deal for $400!

I'd like to come up with a matching cab. I do have some g12-65's laying here that might make a great 2x12 cab for this. The store that sold the amp also has a couple bassman 2x12's that could be a good option for those speakers?
Denton
Peasant

Postby Denton on Sun Jan 08, 2017 10:52 pm

Denton
Peasant

Postby OldSchoolDave on Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:37 pm

Denton wrote:Great deal for $400!

I'd like to come up with a matching cab. I do have some g12-65's laying here that might make a great 2x12 cab for this. The store that sold the amp also has a couple bassman 2x12's that could be a good option for those speakers?

Nice Score :cheers: !

Very the date with transformer codes and the serial number. The grill should have had drip edge originally. Lots of folks didn't like it and removed it. I find it delightfully tacky ;) .

Now would be a good time to make sure the power cord is properly installed (i.e. grounded) and that the Ground switch is bypassed.

As to speakers, it all depends on what sound you're after. Note that Showmans are clean and loud. It's difficult to get them to break up all by themselves. The good news is, they're pedal-friendly.

Dave
...Hey! I played that song when it was new...
http://www.OldSchoolDave.com
OldSchoolDave
Prince

Postby Dave_in_Va. on Fri Jan 13, 2017 4:19 am

It should have the drip edge molding. Probably just removed as the other poster mentioned. The drip edge silver face Showman started showing up in late summer '67. I had one date stamped for 8/67 (on the tube chart) with all '67 dated components. I've seen a fair number of late '67's in silver face, usually the heads (Bassman, Bandmaster, Showman).
$400 is killer! Congrats.
Dave_in_Va.
Court Jester

Postby Dean Jr. on Thu Jan 19, 2017 7:34 pm

Nice amp..... 8 ohm OT? What is the model number on the OT? That amp would have come with a 1 x 15" cab if it is what it should be...an 8 ohm amp. A Dual Showman carried 2 x 15's....and a different OT number.
Dean Jr.
Page

Return to Fender