Vibrosonic export version

Bandmaster, Bassman, Champ, Concert, Deluxe, Harvard, Princeton, Pro, Super, Tremolux, Twin, Vibrasonic, Vibrolux, Vibroverb and others

Vibrosonic export version

Postby tubeswell on Sat Jan 07, 2017 6:18 pm

I have CBS era Vibrosonic in for repair with a 15" PS15 Cerwin Vega (Orange Frame 'Fender' label - Serial Number '0060').

The faceplate is blackface style and just says 'Vibrosonic' (not 'Vibrosonic Amp' or 'Vibrosonic Reverb').

There is no MV.

The Fender Logo has a tail.

The amp has an export version PT with a mains voltage rotary selector switch.

The numbers stamped on the PT are JO22764, 606 0973, and C8A 827.

Chassis number A50652

Any idea of the date of manufacture?

The customer insists its a 74, but it could be a 73 AFAICT.

TIA
He who dies with the most tubes... wins.
tubeswell
Peasant

Re: Vibrosonic export version

Postby tubeswell on Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:45 pm

I figured out that the PT dates from Sep 1973, so it must be toward the end of 1973.
tubeswell
Peasant

Postby tubeswell on Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:00 pm

tubeswell
Peasant

Postby stratele52 on Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:36 am

We can have a look on all you flicker library, all photos are public :(
stratele52
Knight

Postby Dave_in_Va. on Fri Jan 13, 2017 3:51 am

It must be an early '80's VibrOsonic Reverb but I've never seen one. Almost all were silver faces, but Teagle and Sprund state that the VibrOsonic Reverb reverted to black faced cosmetics before it went out of production in around 1981.
The early '60's VibrAsonics were brown faced and were only around for about '59-'62 or '63.
Yours should be the same as a 100 watt Twin/Quad/Super Six/Showman Reverb

(My old Vibrosonic Reverb had a master volume.)

Or the above could all be wrong if your amp has some kind of custom made faceplate.
Dave_in_Va.
Court Jester

Postby Dave_in_Va. on Fri Jan 13, 2017 4:07 am

Did someone color out the "Reverb" with paint or a magic marker?

Did Fender drop the master vol. in '80 -'81? That would be very odd.

Couldn't be a prototype. The serial # seems to indicate '73 and the Vibrosonic Rev. came out in '72. When you get it open, check to see if a master vol. has been removed.

I can't imagine Fender having a totally different model for export. This is weird and I probably won't be able to sleep tonight. ;-)
Dave_in_Va.
Court Jester

Postby Dean Jr. on Thu Jan 19, 2017 8:02 pm

that serial number dates to 1973.
http://www.ggjaguar.com/fendamp5.htm

That 6060973 number has the date code in month/year rather than year/week...but that happened.
What are the pot dates? the lack of a MV, the tail, and I bet all other codes will date to the second half of 1973 or very early 1974.
Dean Jr.
Page

Postby tubeswell on Wed Feb 08, 2017 3:21 am

stratele52 wrote:

We can have a look on all you flicker library, all photos are public :(

Its okay - there's nothing there I'm ashamed of. ;-)
tubeswell
Peasant

Postby tubeswell on Wed Feb 08, 2017 3:40 am

Dave_in_Va. wrote:Did someone color out the "Reverb" with paint or a magic marker?

Did Fender drop the master vol. in '80 -'81? That would be very odd.

Couldn't be a prototype. The serial # seems to indicate '73 and the Vibrosonic Rev. came out in '72. When you get it open, check to see if a master vol. has been removed.

I can't imagine Fender having a totally different model for export. This is weird and I probably won't be able to sleep tonight. ;-)

There is no evidence of coloring out the word 'reverb' on the front plate.

It looks like it didn't have an MV initially, but it appears someone has added one - pot is on the back. The layout looks like it follows the twin aa270 layout. Someone has had a several goes at servicing/modding it in the past. All the caps are now due for a change.

More pics
https://flic.kr/p/RSDQ9f

https://flic.kr/p/RGGKTm

https://flic.kr/p/QDLiT5
tubeswell
Peasant

Postby tubeswell on Thu Feb 16, 2017 5:34 am

Some of the pot codes are

1377309 021873

1377310 021865

2-35-137 021857

There you go
tubeswell
Peasant

Postby Dean Jr. on Thu Feb 16, 2017 5:15 pm

I am sure you have two of those pots as the 9th and the 10th week of 1973. The other one I would read as the 35th week of 1972, 1982, ??? AS you say, the amp has been worked on, That is an odd code there. I see the choke is from very early in 1971. the first filter cap is form sometimes in 1972.
The chassis serial number is from 1973. I say it is a 1973 amp with some oddities. By chance is there a hole in the chassis underneath the front panel for the MV pot???
Dean Jr.
Page

Postby tubeswell on Thu Feb 16, 2017 10:39 pm

Dean Jr. wrote:...By chance is there a hole in the chassis underneath the front panel for the MV pot???

Why yes, there is. I would post a pic confirming this fact, but 'Sorry, the board attachment quote has been reached' (even though I never knew I had a board attachment quota. Oh well)
tubeswell
Peasant

Postby Dean Jr. on Thu Feb 16, 2017 10:52 pm

I guessed that there was one there. I just went for the first time and looked at your first pics....and saw the hole. Imho, that amp's faceplate is not original. IT looks nothing like it should. HEY, it is black without a hole for the MV. The last incarnations of the handwired Fenders were blackface amps....in the very early '80's; but they had MV's. I say that someone has doctored a fake BF TR faceplate to read Vibrosonic. As I looked at that interior chassis shot from the back, I see that the MV had at one time been there....we can see where the MV washer fit to the chassis, right? Someone has modded this amp to be a true dead ringer for something that we have never seen before!
Dean Jr.
Page

Postby tubeswell on Fri Feb 17, 2017 2:43 am

Dean Jr. wrote:I guessed that there was one there. I just went for the first time and looked at your first pics....and saw the hole. Imho, that amp's faceplate is not original. IT looks nothing like it should. HEY, it is black without a hole for the MV. The last incarnations of the handwired Fenders were blackface amps....in the very early '80's; but they had MV's. I say that someone has doctored a fake BF TR faceplate to read Vibrosonic. As I looked at that interior chassis shot from the back, I see that the MV had at one time been there....we can see where the MV washer fit to the chassis, right? Someone has modded this amp to be a true dead ringer for something that we have never seen before!

Indeed
tubeswell
Peasant

Return to Fender