ABNORMALLY LOUD Fender Deluxe Reverb

Bandmaster, Bassman, Champ, Concert, Deluxe, Harvard, Princeton, Pro, Super, Tremolux, Twin, Vibrasonic, Vibrolux, Vibroverb and others

ABNORMALLY LOUD Fender Deluxe Reverb

Postby memphidelity on Fri Jan 13, 2017 6:58 pm

I have a c.1980 Fender Deluxe Reverb. It's one of the last of the silver circuits, which came with a black faceplate.

This amp is insanely loud. I know that Fenders are loud. But two separate guys in Memphis -- both of whom have amps and decades of live and studio experience -- were taken back.

It is unbearable above about 2. From there little changes. I played another similar amp a week or so ago and was amazed to turn it up. The owner is a working pro with a million amps.

Why is my Deluxe so loud?

Thank you.
memphidelity
Peasant

Re: ABNORMALLY LOUD Fender Deluxe Reverb

Postby memphidelity on Thu Jan 26, 2017 2:50 pm

WELL ... this was approved the day after I installed a Weber DT12. Fixed.

A couple of points on the speaker efficiency scale go a LONG way. If you are besieged by your amp, change the speaker to a less efficient speaker. The DT12 is still breaking in, but makes this amp a joy to play. I love it when distortion comes in a curve and not a step function. The on/off of a pedal is like bad surgery.

Thanks for keeping this forum.
memphidelity
Peasant

Postby Mitch Roberts on Thu Jan 26, 2017 4:24 pm

My experience with those late 79-80's DRs (I have owned 2 in the past) is that the volume taper is very rapid in the 0-3 or 4 range. Of course, speaker efficiency plays a role as well.
"If life were fair, Elvis would be alive and all the Elvis impersonators would be dead."
--Johnny Carson
Mitch Roberts
Squire

Postby Baron Von Machinenmann on Fri Jan 27, 2017 12:17 am

I was going to ask if it has a stock tube compliment or if it had been modded in any way..... :?:
ImageImageImage

John Lennon/Jimi Hendrix/Jimmy Page Fan
Baron Von Machinenmann
Administrator of Mirth

Postby Smolder on Fri Jan 27, 2017 12:23 am

I have a '78 Deluxe Reverb sitting next to a '65 Bandmaster (running into a single 8 ohm JBL). The later impedance mismatch lowers volume... but on 3, the Deluxe is way louder. Hadn't though about the taper... assumed they were the same. I'll have to have a look with a multimeter.
Smolder
Peasant

Postby Unit_1 on Fri Jan 27, 2017 3:10 am

I have an original 68 sfdr and switched from the standard ceramic to a Jensen P12N and the volume virtually doubled at full, however, it is nice and progressive. Really doesn't get super loud till around 6, then more volume just increases the distortion.
:rawk:
The ability to play/make music is a gift that not everyone gets. Those of us who have it should use it.

Asimov:Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today — but the core of science fiction, its essence, the concept around which it revolves, has become crucial to our salvation if we are to be saved at all.
Unit_1
Prince

Location: Kali4ñia (a small planet orbiting the west coast of the United States)

Postby Gasstationman on Fri Jan 27, 2017 9:57 pm

Unwanted oscillation can increase the volume drastically at lower volume settings. Often combined with hard sound.
Anders Gson
Gasstationman
Certified

Return to Fender