'66 Bandmaster w/Tube Rectifier mod, Replacement Transformer

Bandmaster, Bassman, Champ, Concert, Deluxe, Harvard, Princeton, Pro, Super, Tremolux, Twin, Vibrasonic, Vibrolux, Vibroverb and others

'66 Bandmaster w/Tube Rectifier mod, Replacement Transformer

Postby Slrstcs on Wed Jan 25, 2017 2:49 am

I bought a used '66 blackface Bandmaster from bongo center online- was really excited as the 'vintage' aficionado insisted it was basically factory stock, all original.

The amp arrived with a 5U4 rectifier tube- so clearly modded, and the transformer doesn't look original to the amp!

I need to get some pictures hosted somewhere- would really appreciate any insights you guys have as to what else may have been done to the circuit.

Thanks and all my best-
Slrstcs
Peasant

Re: '66 Bandmaster w/Tube Rectifier mod, Replacement Transfo

Postby stratele52 on Wed Jan 25, 2017 9:41 am

You may ask to the seller some money back because it is not original, value drop.

Seller do not post some pictures before you bought it ? You buy it with no picture ?
stratele52
Knight

Postby Naked Clarke on Wed Jan 25, 2017 3:21 pm

We will have to see some pictures. Obviously it is not original. In the meantime, list all transformer codes so that we can see what you have. Any refund due would depend on how much you paid for it.
Naked Clarke
Page

Postby Smolder on Fri Jan 27, 2017 12:25 am

Blackface Bandmaster heads seem to run $500-700... maybe a $100 more than a clean silverface. There's not a lot of shift for replacement parts on these. Not that I wouldn't ask.
Smolder
Peasant

Postby JeffH on Sun Jan 29, 2017 1:31 pm

It sounds like those parts have been changed, however I own a '61 Super that has a stock solid state rectifier instead of a tube as they normally have. I've never been able to document it, but it may have once belonged to Barney Kessel - there is a Dymo label on the back the says "Kessel". The power transformer is the code for a Bandmaster which would have used a solid state rectifier.

JeffH
Certified

Postby spoond on Thu Mar 02, 2017 11:49 pm

JeffH that is a very cool amp! I have a clean '63 Pro Amp with a tube rectifier that is as original as it can be. No idea who it was built for, but Fender did do custom work for established musicians until the mid 60s.

Sirstcs can you post pics of the circuit, transformers and tube sockets?
spoond
Knight

Postby Gasstationman on Sat Mar 04, 2017 12:06 am

Some Brown Pro Amps was sent back to the factory to get the solidstaterectifier replaced with a tube. I've seen several pics of different Pro Amps with tuberectifier so it's not that rare. My have a 125P5B TP. Date is LL/Dec 1962 and it have been back at the factory week 25 1963 and it was probably then it got the 125P5B PT.
Anders Gson
Gasstationman
Certified

Return to Fender