Info needed on late '63 black face Fender Deluxe(non reverb)

Bandmaster, Bassman, Champ, Concert, Deluxe, Harvard, Princeton, Pro, Super, Tremolux, Twin, Vibrasonic, Vibrolux, Vibroverb and others

Info needed on late '63 black face Fender Deluxe(non reverb)

Postby 60mga on Sun Feb 05, 2017 6:03 pm

Hi all, tube chart (MI) and transformer numbers all point to an amp built in Sept. '63 on a particular deluxe I've looked at. Very quiet and sounds great. Electrolytic's done, all the original orange parts comes with the amp, speaker has been re coned.
Tolex is decent, some burns along the top where it looks like the original owner's ciggy's were left to burn up(!) good grill cloth with a few blemishes.
$1600 seem about right? I see a few for sale online at ridiculous prices, so I can't get a real sense of the current market value on these. It's a AA763 circuit with the gold frame oxford that dates to '63 as well. So a very early black face non reverb.
60mga
Court Jester

Re: Info needed on late '63 black face Fender Deluxe(non rev

Postby spidey66 on Mon Feb 06, 2017 2:51 am

You are correct that the few available online are priced way out of range. The prices are at or above a Deluxe Reverb sticker price. I think $1400-$1500.00 would be fair for an early Pre CBS amp. A straight Deluxe is not the same animal as a Deluxe Reverb. Personally (just my .02) I'd hold out for a Deluxe Reverb. Having said that....Glenn Frey got some tasty tones out of his BF Deluxe for the solos on "I Can't Tell You Why", "New Kid In Town", and few others. Good Luck!
spidey66
Certified

Postby 60mga on Mon Feb 06, 2017 4:20 am

Thanks! I'm one of the rare few that don't really care for a deluxe reverb. I'd much rather have the smaller cabinet. That said, I don't want to pay reverb money for one. But this is the first time I've ever seen one of these come up locally and have a chance to play through it as opposed to buying something online and hoping to hell it gets here in one piece and as described. The last blackface deluxe reverb I saw come up for sale here sold right away for $2400.
60mga
Court Jester

Postby stratele52 on Mon Feb 06, 2017 9:01 am

spidey66 wrote:You are correct that the few available online are priced way out of range. The prices are at or above a Deluxe Reverb sticker price. I think $1400-$1500.00 would be fair for an early Pre CBS amp. A straight Deluxe is not the same animal as a Deluxe Reverb. Personally (just my .02) I'd hold out for a Deluxe Reverb. Having said that....Glenn Frey got some tasty tones out of his BF Deluxe for the solos on "I Can't Tell You Why", "New Kid In Town", and few others. Good Luck!

Speaker is a re cone, this drop amp value. I don't know the value
+1 for a Deluxe Reverb; a Fender amp must have a reverb
stratele52
Knight

Postby Baron Von Machinenmann on Mon Feb 06, 2017 3:48 pm

stratele52 wrote:
spidey66 wrote:You are correct that the few available online are priced way out of range. The prices are at or above a Deluxe Reverb sticker price. I think $1400-$1500.00 would be fair for an early Pre CBS amp. A straight Deluxe is not the same animal as a Deluxe Reverb. Personally (just my .02) I'd hold out for a Deluxe Reverb. Having said that....Glenn Frey got some tasty tones out of his BF Deluxe for the solos on "I Can't Tell You Why", "New Kid In Town", and few others. Good Luck!

Speaker is a re cone, this drop amp value. I don't know the value
+1 for a Deluxe Reverb; a Fender amp must have a reverb

I do love a good Fender combo with reverb BUT, my 61 super,62 concert and 62 bandmasters have their own Fender thing going on. Even better with a vintage Fender reverb unit in front! 8)
ImageImageImage

John Lennon/Jimi Hendrix/Jimmy Page Fan
Baron Von Machinenmann
Administrator of Mirth

Postby morrisbbbmb on Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:54 pm

I would say that is about the right price range, around $1400-$1600ish. I had one awhile back last year. Was a great amp, but just not my style. ( More of a tweed guy than blackface). I compared the non reverb to the reverb deluxe when I bought it. And I did end up really liking the sound of the non reverb Deluxe, especially when I had it hooked up to my stand alone reverb unit. It sounded great with that hooked up to it, and I had more ability to control the reverb settings at the same time.
morrisbbbmb
Court Jester

Postby slider313 on Fri Feb 10, 2017 1:04 am

Bring 14 one hundred dollar bills. A re-coned speaker is no big deal. You'll probably put something more efficient in it anyway. The new Eminence GA-SC64 is a great choice. Good luck.
slider313
Squire

Postby 60mga on Sat Feb 11, 2017 5:37 pm

$2100 Canadian(1600 USD), I was at $1900($1400 USD) and he wanted $2000($1500 USD) so we've left it at that. I know where there is a full on reverb for a bit more so I'm hesitant to move on my price.
60mga
Court Jester

Return to Fender