Blackface twin ,sovtek 6l6 WGC

Bandmaster, Bassman, Champ, Concert, Deluxe, Harvard, Princeton, Pro, Super, Tremolux, Twin, Vibrasonic, Vibrolux, Vibroverb and others

Blackface twin ,sovtek 6l6 WGC

Postby strangedays on Sat Mar 11, 2017 4:50 pm

Hi,i need to retube my 1967 twin and i was considering to put on a matched quad of sovtek 6l6 wGC on the power section .
Will this set work fine on blackface Twin? They have shorter base and i don't know if this will cause any problem mounting them.
Again, What are the differences between 6l6 GC's and 6l6 WGC's? I know the first one are the recomended type for twins and i don't know if putting WGC's will cause any trouble.
Thanks a lot.
strangedays
Court Jester

Re: Blackface twin ,sovtek 6l6 WGC

Postby Vortexion on Sat Mar 11, 2017 8:17 pm

Shouldn't cause any problems at all AFAIK. The 6L6WGC (also known as the 5881) is a ruggedised military-spec version of the valve. It's capable of handling higher plate voltages but has a slightly lower maximum dissipation than a 6L6GC - 23W instead of 30W. As with all re-tubes, you may need to re-bias the amp after installation.

Re. the low-profile base on these tubes, I don't think it'll cause a problem for the amp's spring retainers. If anyone else here knows otherwise, please pipe up.
Vortexion
Newt

Postby OldSchoolDave on Sat Mar 11, 2017 8:49 pm

Vortexion wrote:Re. the low-profile base on these tubes, I don't think it'll cause a problem for the amp's spring retainers. If anyone else here knows otherwise, please pipe up.

It looks to me as if the retainers would be biting into the glass on the WGC versions - and that would concern me.

Dave
...Hey! I played that song when it was new...
http://www.OldSchoolDave.com
OldSchoolDave
Prince

Postby Vortexion on Sat Mar 11, 2017 9:17 pm

OldSchoolDave wrote:
Vortexion wrote:Re. the low-profile base on these tubes, I don't think it'll cause a problem for the amp's spring retainers. If anyone else here knows otherwise, please pipe up.

It looks to me as if the retainers would be biting into the glass on the WGC versions - and that would concern me.

Dave

Shame, that. It appears that Sovtek also do a version of this tube with a standard base. They call it the WXT.

Example from a UK dealer's site (not recommending them, just for illustration): http://www.karltone.co.uk/sovtek-5881-wxt-466-p.asp
Vortexion
Newt

Postby strangedays on Sat Mar 11, 2017 10:24 pm

Thans a lot for reply,very usable informations.
Maybe swapping out tube retainers would be a wise decision ?!?
Thanks again.
Cheers.
strangedays
Court Jester

Postby OldSchoolDave on Sun Mar 12, 2017 12:13 am

strangedays wrote:Maybe swapping out tube retainers would be a wise decision ?!?

Alter a vintage amp simply to run those Sovtek tubes? From my perspective, no, that would not be a wise decision.

There are other 6L6 alternatives that wouldn't require modification. They may even perform better than Sovteks...

Dave
OldSchoolDave
Prince

Postby strangedays on Sun Mar 12, 2017 8:55 am

Swapping out four little pices of metal temporarily it's not that alteration to me,unless it's going to cause some troubles.
Anyway, it's true there are many choices.
Thanks for reply.
strangedays
Court Jester

Postby Naked Clarke on Sun Mar 12, 2017 9:27 pm

Removing the retainers should not be a big deal from any perspective but it sounds like the new tubes have not yet been purchased. Seems best to just get the right tubes from the outset.
Naked Clarke
Page

Postby strangedays on Wed Mar 15, 2017 4:35 pm

Thanks a lot for replies.
I've found a quartet of TAD 6L6 GC at a resonable price,and i'll try them.I hope the'll work fine on blackface.
Thanks again everyone.
strangedays
Court Jester

Postby OldSchoolDave on Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:36 pm

strangedays wrote:I've found a quartet of TAD 6L6 GC at a resonable price,and i'll try them.I hope the'll work fine on blackface.

I think you'll be happy with those (but do keep us posted) :thumbsup: .

Dave
OldSchoolDave
Prince

Return to Fender