blackface twin reverb,still bad sounding

Bandmaster, Bassman, Champ, Concert, Deluxe, Harvard, Princeton, Pro, Super, Tremolux, Twin, Vibrasonic, Vibrolux, Vibroverb and others

blackface twin reverb,still bad sounding

Postby strangedays on Thu Mar 16, 2017 6:17 pm

At last,new power tubes arrived. I've just installed them,rebiased the amp(there are few good methods on the net) .New speakers installed(Weber C12N clones),Completely recapped (F&T & Sprague right values).All the preamp tubes are new,pots cleaned but the amp sounds as bad as before.Mushed,muffled,midgy and with no top end.At This point i suspect there is one or more damages and it's time to contact a good technician.If you have any more suggestion before i find someone competent on vintage amps,i'll apprecciate very much.
Are there any other componets to replace by myself ? In my opinion i've done all i could.From what i've heard it's impossible a blackface sounds this way.
Thank you.
strangedays
Court Jester

Re: blackface twin reverb,still bad sounding

Postby Dean Jr. on Fri Mar 17, 2017 4:49 pm

Have you made a voltage chart? Does the am p sound the same way in both channels?
Worst case scenario is that you have a bad output transformer. Yes, an OT can be bad and still produce sound...just not what we would want to hear.
Dean Jr.
Page

Postby stratele52 on Fri Mar 17, 2017 5:31 pm

Bad Output transformer as Dean jr wrote.
Bad voltages
Bad resitors in phase inverter circuit
To name few

On both channel ?
stratele52
Knight

Postby strangedays on Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:58 pm

Yes that's right The amp sounds bad on both channels.Ater the recap work i consider it could be the tranformer too.
In that case what could i do?
New transformer?
Try to repair?
Thanks a lot for reply.
strangedays
Court Jester

Postby stratele52 on Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:23 pm

Find which are the bad parts before. You work like a blindman and you spend more money than if you see a qualified tech with no result.

I did not write it is the Output Transformer. I may be a lots of thing and we have not enough information.

First, which Blackface circuit ?
Second , read all B+ voltage and report. Be careful, lethal voltage in tubes amp.
stratele52
Knight

Postby strangedays on Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:19 pm

Stratele 52 i was only asking information about the transformer in general,i din't mean to replace it or repair by myself.Anyway you're right, i'll go to a technician. at this point is the fairest thing to do.
At athe moment i don't have the chance to measure the voltage but my blackface is an ab763.
Thanks a lot for replies.
strangedays
Court Jester

Postby tubeswell on Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:34 pm

Don't start throwing away transformers yet. theres still a few other things you can look at.

What B+ voltage and bias supply voltage have you got?

Have you changed all the electrolytic caps (including in the bias supply?)

Re-tensioned all the tube socket pin clamps?

Checked the old coupling caps for DC-leakage (I found an old 0.022uF in a 67 super reverb was leaking 1.6VDC recently, made heaps of difference to the volume in that channel)
He who dies with the most tubes... wins.
tubeswell
Peasant

Postby Dean Jr. on Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:58 pm

+1 with tubeswell. When I Mentioned the OT, that was a 'worst case scenario'....meaning it would not be the fist thing I would start taking out while wondering.
Dean Jr.
Page

Postby drewleslie on Wed Mar 22, 2017 12:34 pm

I keep good OTs around ... it only takes 5 min to patch it in and be sure. Especially with so many bases already covered. Dirty speaker jack? drew
How can you tell the difference between a chemist and a plumber? Ask them to pronounce 'unionized'.
drewleslie
Knight

Return to Fender