Info/help needed on Fender Showman

Bandmaster, Bassman, Champ, Concert, Deluxe, Harvard, Princeton, Pro, Super, Tremolux, Twin, Vibrasonic, Vibrolux, Vibroverb and others

Info/help needed on Fender Showman

Postby lp-slinger on Sat Mar 18, 2017 4:27 pm

Hi All, I have just come into a Fender Showman, and as this is my first foray into vintage Fender amps, I wanted to post here to try to get more info on this amp.

Photo Album

What I think I know so far:
I know this amp is not likely original based on some limited research I've done.
It has had a three-prong power cord installed.
Chassis serial number (A12026) - 1967
Power Transformer Date Code (606801) (1st week of 1968)
Output Transformer Date Code (606827) (27th week of 1968)
Choke Date Code (606745) - (45th week of 1967)
I was told by the person I received the amp from that it originally had the silverface cosmetics, with the 'drip-edge'.

I was able to play through the amplifier to verify it works, and it did, somewhat... As I was playing it, it blew the 2.5Amp fuse after about 20 minutes... not sure what that means...???

I have not taken the amp to a repair tech yet, as I wanted to know more about what I've gotten a hold of before having the amp tech make any 'repairs' (I'm not sure it's worth sinking the money into the amp or not, as I know virtually nothing about it). Does anything in these pictures stand out as being out of the normal? Is this even a real vintage Fender Showman?

I've still got the amp out, so if I've missed any pictures that would be helpful, just let me know and I'll try to get you better pictures.

Thanks, in advance, for all your help.

- Brian
lp-slinger
Peasant

Re: Info/help needed on Fender Showman

Postby stratele52 on Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:01 pm

Look some unqualified people work on the amp, the wiring is not clean as fender do, some new wiring too and few resistors and capacitor are not original.
That is not very bad.
About the fuse, remove all Output Power Tubes and power amp ON with a new fuse with same value as write on the back on the amp. Never put another kind of fuse. Speaker load must be the right one
Buy a few fuse.
Leave the amp ON at least 20 minutes, more is better.

If fuse stay good, don't blow, replace all power tubes with good ones. Check and adjust bias
If fuse blow, see a qualified tech.

Easy to help you if you post picture on forum

Blue capacitor with yellow at one end is blew. Put a new one.
stratele52
Knight

Postby stratele52 on Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:08 pm

More I look at the photos, more amp must see a qualified tech to a good check up.
To many things look bad to use the amp if you don't want to loose more money with burning expensive parts.

Yes it worth to spend money on and it will work trouble free for many many years.

Its a very good amp
stratele52
Knight

Postby Baron Von Machinenmann on Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:47 pm

Not horrible, but like Stratele mentioned she should go to a tech before playing. Output tubes are garbage, old production chinese, bias supply needs a rebuild, probably could use filter caps, have to look under the doghouse, wire nuts on cord is a big no-no, few weird resistors that should be changed back to stock, figure on two to three hours labor plus parts. Once repaired, these are great, clean amps that take pedals well. :thumbsup:
ImageImageImage

John Lennon/Jimi Hendrix/Jimmy Page Fan
Baron Von Machinenmann
Administrator of Mirth

Postby stratele52 on Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:44 pm

Baron Von Machinenmann wrote:Not horrible, but like Stratele mentioned she should go to a tech before playing. Output tubes are garbage, old production chinese, bias supply needs a rebuild, probably could use filter caps, have to look under the doghouse, wire nuts on cord is a big no-no, few weird resistors that should be changed back to stock, figure on two to three hours labor plus parts. Once repaired, these are great, clean amps that take pedals well. :thumbsup:

+100
stratele52
Knight

Postby Gasstationman on Sun Mar 19, 2017 12:05 am

I restored a silverface Showman a few years ago. It was a solid mess and with five volume controls, no tremolo and a lot of mods/f**kups. It also had the tilted OT that your amp have. :lol:
I cleaned it out and built i back to AB763 specs and it became one of the best amps I heard. Really annoying as the Brownface Fender amps are my favorites. :wink: Save some$ and remove as much dirt as possible before you leave it to a tech. I,m sure you will have a great amp very soon.
Good luck.
Anders Gson
Gasstationman
Certified

Postby stratele52 on Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:32 am

Silverface Bandmaster, (not Bandmaster reverb ) could be a AA763, AB763 or AC568 circuits . This last one is so close to a Blackface is easy and not expensive to mod to a AB763. But no need to.

http://ampwares.com/?brand=fender&line=bandmaster
stratele52
Knight

Postby lp-slinger on Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:00 pm

Many thanks for all the info guys! Looks like I'll be looking for a qualified 'localish'amp tech. :thumbsup:

After trying to get more info about this amp from the previous owner, I was able to have him locate the original head cabinet he received with the amp years ago... The tube chart says Fender Showman AB763, but I recall reading somewhere over the years that sometimes left-over tube charts were used during this transition period, and may not indicate the correct circuit... Is anyone able to verify that?

Also, FWIW, there are two extra holes (presumably, for pots) on the front of the chassis. Did Fender use the same chassis for multiple types of amps at the time, or might this be the work of a modder who modded it and then had it reversed? I know it would be virtually impossible to tell if it was done after manufacturing, but just curious on this as well.

stratele52, I'm not questioning you, as I wouldn't be able to tell with all the possible modifications, but what makes you say it is, or originally was, a Bandmaster?

Again, thanks a million for all the information you've given me! It is great to have a place like this that has a supportive community and is willing to help out someone just getting into this kind of thing.

Cheers! :cheers:
lp-slinger
Peasant

Postby stratele52 on Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:09 pm

lp-slinger wrote:Many thanks for all the info guys! Looks like I'll be looking for a qualified 'localish'amp tech. :thumbsup:

After trying to get more info about this amp from the previous owner, I was able to have him locate the original head cabinet he received with the amp years ago... The tube chart says Fender Showman AB763, but I recall reading somewhere over the years that sometimes left-over tube charts were used during this transition period, and may not indicate the correct circuit... Is anyone able to verify that?

:cheers:

Sure, CBS put sometimes the wrong tubes chart. Qualified tech can see which circuit it is
stratele52
Knight

Postby OldSchoolDave on Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:42 pm

lp-slinger wrote:I was told by the person I received the amp from that it originally had the silverface cosmetics, with the 'drip-edge'.

I'd agree with that. I've only seen the "tropical fish" cap in the tremolo circuit on early Silverface stuff. As others have said, your Showman is basically in decent shape (the good stuff hasn't been pilfered) and just needs its 100,000 mile service.

Something to consider, if you don't need a 100 watt LOUD and CLEAN amp:

If your tech biases it for 4 x 6V6 output tubes (as opposed to the original 6L6), it'll have some nice breakup before peeling paint. I did that to my '69 Showman that had been completely "orange dropped" and haven't regretted it. And, if I ever did, it'd be easy to set it back.

Dave
...Hey! I played that song when it was new...
http://www.OldSchoolDave.com
OldSchoolDave
Prince

Return to Fender