Is this 1966 Super Reverb OK to buy?

Bandmaster, Bassman, Champ, Concert, Deluxe, Harvard, Princeton, Pro, Super, Tremolux, Twin, Vibrasonic, Vibrolux, Vibroverb and others

Is this 1966 Super Reverb OK to buy?

Postby TeleAddicted on Mon Mar 27, 2017 1:59 am

Hello everyone! I just found a 1966 Super Reverb, with some "mods" like replacing the 4x10" by 1x12" and some problems, like the tremolo channel not working. I can't and play at his amp because he is four states away from me... There is some pics, and I wanted some opinion about. Does this looks good to buy and restore to the original specs, or does this looks like a expensive problem?

http://produto.mercadolivre.com.br/MLB- ... ridade-_JM
TeleAddicted
Peasant

Re: Is this 1966 Super Reverb OK to buy?

Postby eolon on Sun Apr 02, 2017 2:09 pm

It's hard to tell from the limited photos, but it looks salvageable to me. Something funny going on with all those electrolytic capacitors on the outside of the chassis, but it just may be that someone replaced the filter caps in an odd way. The tremolo could be an easy fix, or it could be difficult - it depends on what is there. If the tremolo circuit has been removed, then obviously you would have to re-build it. Or it may just be a bad tube, or a bad circuit component.

Best Regards,

Don
eolon
Peasant

Postby Naked Clarke on Sun Apr 02, 2017 3:24 pm

Depends on your market down there. Looks like about $1,600 US. Have to wonder how long that 8 ohm speaker has been working against a 2 ohm load? Could be transformer damage from potential for fly back. The proper type of electrolytics can be installed and install a dog house for safety purposes. New speakers and baffle with correct grille cloth.
Naked Clarke
Page

Postby Vortexion on Sun Apr 02, 2017 3:38 pm

The pitting/corrosion on the front and back panels and the rusty transformer covers suggest that this amp has spent a long time in a damp environment before being "rescued" into its present form. Of course, if the amp works as it should and you're not bothered about cosmetics that's not a problem, but (as Naked Clarke has pointed out) 5,000 Brazilian Reals is roughly = 1,600 US Dollars. Add on shipping charges and then however much more you might have to spend on putting it back to original spec., and you have to ask yourself whether this combo is worth the money being asked. I don't know - I'm not that familiar with the prices these things go for nowadays - but it seems quite a lot for an amp that's pretty shot at.
Vortexion
Newt

Postby BetterOffShred on Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:52 pm

I'm certainly not an expert on the value of these things, but I've seen them around Locally for 900-1200 USD. They weren't beat, and they had the original 10's in them. I would personally be leary spending that kind of money on something that had a mismatched speaker, and as others pointed out all that rust and non-functioning tremolo. That's just me though.
-Brett
BetterOffShred
Peasant

Postby Dean Jr. on Thu Apr 06, 2017 8:20 pm

Hello, Teleaddicted. I looked through that dealer's other offerings. Things are expensive down there, aren't they?
I don't like the looks of that amp. As stated above, that 8 ohm speaker on the 2 ohm OT is a warning sign for me.
Note: Just because an OT produces sound does not mean that that OT is working as it was designed to work. Damage done to the secondary wiring caused by flyback voltage can cause a decrease in output and sound quality while still producing sound. That is a much used and imho abused amp. IF it was offered for sale to me at $500USD, I would NOT be moved to buy it. IT would never be much more than a player amp even if the transformers are good and original. That faceplate is a mess.
sometimes patience pays off.....My vote is to wait.
Dean Jr.
Page

Return to Fender