Twin Reverb

Bandmaster, Bassman, Champ, Concert, Deluxe, Harvard, Princeton, Pro, Super, Tremolux, Twin, Vibrasonic, Vibrolux, Vibroverb and others

Twin Reverb

Postby TubeGetter on Sat Jun 16, 2001 12:31 am

Can someone tell me the best years for a Twin Reverb? Something like 63-67 maybe?
TubeGetter
Emperor

Re: Twin Reverb

Postby 1959burst on Sat Jun 16, 2001 4:15 pm

yes the blackface years are great!the earier ones are awesome as well! :D
Musican/Luthier/Stringed Instrument Repairman/Resident Instigator http://www.myspace.com/greg1959burstwilson http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=604305709
1959burst
King

Postby oldguy on Sat Jun 16, 2001 4:42 pm

My faves are '64-'65 cuz I had several of them & never had one that sounded bad! :cool:
oldguy
Baron

Postby OaklandDanny on Sat Jun 16, 2001 10:18 pm

The earlier silver face Twin Reverbs, up until about '73, were virtually identical to the blackface... except, of course for the silver face. These are less expensive because of the collector mystique for the blackface Fenders, but they're getting pricey now also.
"Move Over Little Dog..."
OaklandDanny
Prince

Postby 5163 on Sun Jun 17, 2001 3:22 am

Any Twin Reverb without master volumes!<P>The early 70's silverface twins (w/out master volumes) are good too and can be easily modified to blackface specs. But I would suspect they would still sound different compared to the early blackface models.<P>I played a bunch of early blackface Super, Vibrolux and Deluxe Reverbs and I felt they broke up more compared to the early silverface versions. Someone told they beefed up their transfomers over the years. Who knows, it might be similar for Twins too?
Page

Postby sluggo47 on Sun Jun 17, 2001 9:41 am

I had an early Silver face w/JBLs that was very nice. Don't laugh but if you're not into collecting consider a Twin Reverb RI. I have one that sounds very good. There, I said it. It's out there: I have a re-issue. :o
sluggo47
Certified

Postby rocco on Sun Jun 17, 2001 2:42 pm

my twin is a master volume amp and it rocks, but the older silver and black faces are a better choice
You're gonna need a bigger boat.
rocco
Knight

Postby OaklandDanny on Sun Jun 17, 2001 10:01 pm

Okay... we've established that the early, non master volume silverface twin reverb, with minor mods, is a pretty close match to the blackface. Here's a little cost-comparison...<BR>'66 Blackface<BR><A HREF="http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1439815787" TARGET=_blank>http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1439815787</A> <P>'circa '72 silverface... <P><A HREF="http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1438312716" TARGET=_blank>http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1438312716</A> <P>These are both currently on eBay.<BR>Granted, the silverface isn't perfect... need to replace the rear panel. but look at the price difference!!<BR>The other silverfaces out there claim to be early seventies, and most are at least '76 or greater (master vols and logos are missing the underlining swoosh).
"Move Over Little Dog..."
OaklandDanny
Prince

Postby 5163 on Mon Jun 18, 2001 1:14 am

Can't argue that non-master volume silverface amps are more bang for the buck from a player's point of view.<P>Don't particularly care for those red/brown caps in this particular silverface Twin. If you have tech experience it would be cheap to switch them out yourself. But for non-tech types, I would try to find one with the blue colored caps. It may not make a difference to some, or I may just be imagining things?
Page

Postby oldguy on Mon Jun 18, 2001 1:35 am

You're right, Danny.<BR>I've had early blackface Twins & back then, they were just used amps so I would buy a new one every year or two. I went from blackfaces to silverfaces & quite honestly did'nt notice the difference. If I wanted a different sound, I'd just use JBL's instead of Jensens. Since the twin was a low gain amp (relatively) I used distortion & compression pedals with 'em & the JBL's sounded much better. I think the Jensens sounded better for straight guitar because they had a smoother breakup @ high volume....I'm rambling.....anyway it ain't worth the difference in $ IMHO unless you're a collector & just gots to have one. :D
oldguy
Baron

Postby gvb on Mon Jun 18, 2001 2:53 am

The old Fender amps are my favorite sounding amps. I searched awhile for the sound in my head and settled on my 64' Twin Reverb. I played it against a 72' and a 74' and at low volumes the sound differences were not huge. But pull two of the power tubes, the V1 tube, and crank it up to 6 with a high gain pickup and the Blackface stands WAY out. (Just make sure the rest of the band is wearing earplugs) The thick juicy mids this amp pumps out is crazy!<P>I got a halfway decent deal on the 64' so I would imagine a Silverface with some mods would be more econimcal if you can't find a super deal on a Blackface.<P>I also purchased a 65' Showman, plugged it into a 71' Orange 4x12 with greenbacks in it, and it sounds even better than the Twin does! IMO.<P>gvb
gvb
Certified

Postby twang on Mon Jun 18, 2001 9:52 am

If you believe Aspen Pittman the 1964 Twin Reverb is the one to buy, but I'll second the idea of earlier SF Twins as more bang for the buck. I've got a 1968 with JBL D-120s which I had blackfaced that sounds great. Absolutely the most versatile amp around unless you're into high gain styles. Otherwise for blues, jazz, country, many rock styles, you can't beat it. The Dual Showman is also a good choice with a matching cab and JBL D-130s. I think Hendrix recorded with both amps and JBLs. I know I've seen pix of him with two Dual Showman.
twang
Knight

Postby deltablues on Mon Jun 18, 2001 2:00 pm

Best construction and tone are definitely going to come from the blackface Twins made from 1963 to 1967. And those that say the price difference is only "collectors mystique", fail to recognize the difference in cabinet design: <BR>BF = finger jointed solid pine with screw in baffels.<BR>SF = lap jointed with glued in particle board baffles.<BR>Along with the HUGE difference in lead dress quality of work inside the chassis, which made the amps much more stable than the later silverface "rats nest" lead dress.<P>The blackfaces cost a lot more, but the manhours necessary to original build them were a lot higher as well. So it's more than just a collectors mystique.<P>That said, the Silverfaces ARE a great deal if you're willing to either do a little work yourself in "blackfacing" them or having a good tech do it for a minimal cost.<P>Blackfacing doesn't address the issues of build quality above, and it doesn't make the amp identical to the original blackface design, but it goes a long way toward opening the amp up, tightening up the bass response, and adding that blackface era sparkle to the treble range. <P>Regarding the comment about needing to stay away from all master volume Twin Reverbs. THIS IS TOTALLY FALSE. While the master volume IS a detriment to the tone of the amp. It's typically and EASILY disabled during blackfacing which returns the amp to EXACTLY the same state as a non-master volume Twin.<P>The only years that you should consider staying away from are the 77-82's. This was when CBS Fender "upgraded" the transformer wattages in most of their large amps. The Twin in this case, went from 100 to 135 watts. These Twins ARE NOT easily blackfaced since the 135 watt transformer effectively negates the benefits of the blackface mods. The only way to get around this is by replacing the power transformer which is a pretty expensive deal. Best to just leave those model years for people who are looking for very LOUD, very CLEAN, and to some ears, very STERILE tone.
Schematic Heaven
"Where All Good Designs Await Resurrection..."
Schematic Heaven BBS
Lots of Good Technical Info
deltablues
Certified

Return to Fender