69 Bandmaster Reverb to Vibroverb Conversion Pics

Bandmaster, Bassman, Champ, Concert, Deluxe, Harvard, Princeton, Pro, Super, Tremolux, Twin, Vibrasonic, Vibrolux, Vibroverb and others

69 Bandmaster Reverb to Vibroverb Conversion Pics

Postby deltablues on Sun Jun 17, 2001 3:38 am

Just finishing up the conversion of my 69 Bandmaster Reverb to 64 Vibroverb design specs. Check out the Pics below !!! <P><A HREF="http://pub30.ezboard.com/fthecrossroads19731frm13.showMessage?topicID=123.topic" TARGET=_blank>69 BMR to Vibroverb-clone</A> :p
Schematic Heaven
"Where All Good Designs Await Resurrection..."
Schematic Heaven BBS
Lots of Good Technical Info
deltablues
Certified

Re: 69 Bandmaster Reverb to Vibroverb Conversion Pics

Postby 5163 on Sun Jun 17, 2001 6:52 am

Delta, Nice job, very neat! How close does it sound compared to a real Vibroverb? What speaker are you running?
Page

Postby deltablues on Sun Jun 17, 2001 12:56 pm

I still need to put the last link from the heater wires to the pilot lamp (ran out of green). So it hasn't actually been plugged in yet since the new lead dress.<P>I've got a JBL-D130 that's going into it when I fire it up. :)
Schematic Heaven
Schematic Heaven BBS
deltablues
Certified

Postby mike1 on Mon Jun 18, 2001 1:32 am

A well dressed amp is a thing of beauty, very nice job. Look forward to hearing your review on the tone!! I was thinking about cleaning up my Concert II after replacing the filter caps a few weeks back but after looking at it carefully I'm sure there's got to be some kind of logic in all that mess so I'll just leave it be.
mike1
Page

Postby deltablues on Mon Jun 18, 2001 1:27 pm

Yes indeed, redressing an entire amp isn't something for the faint of heart. It took me a few weeks of doing a little a night and a BUNCH of new wire.<P>I've since had a few people tell me that although I followed the Fender Layout to the letter, I may have produced something that actually is done better than what any of the original Fender assemblers ever issued.<P>I think it's due at least in part to the fact that I drilled the dressing holes and used them like the original layout designer intended.<P>All the blackface amps had those dressing holes, but in many cases they simply weren't used because it was easier to go "over" the board instead of under it via the holes.
Schematic Heaven
Schematic Heaven BBS
deltablues
Certified

Postby 100watt on Mon Jun 18, 2001 1:54 pm

Real nice job
100watt
Certified

Postby spentmusic on Mon Jun 18, 2001 4:00 pm

How hard is it to do this. I am good with a an iron and have a limited knowledge of electronics from the 70's (college) and use to build practice amps out of old radios and 8 track tape machines, just to see if I could. (Not worth it)<P>My 65 Bandmaster is original and has the great thin sound only a Bandmaster can produce. Been thinking about getting a Bassman transformer and changing it for a bit more muscle. Maybe make a bit more sense of the pasta in there at the same time. Am I crazy and should only have my tech do this. If it's not that significant change I'd want to put it back to original again??<P>Options,<P>Jeff (to much time on my hands)
Jeff Swanson
DST
spentmusic
Page

Postby deltablues on Mon Jun 18, 2001 5:45 pm

A 65 Bandmaster should ALREADY have the lead dress you see reproduced in my amp project. <P>Regarding swapping out OT's... NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO !!!<P>Major mods like changing out OT's should NOT be done on pre 1968 blackface amps. Those are the holy grails of Leo's design stable. And inevitibly, parts like that get lost and amps get sold in their modded state, which effectively renders them unreturnable to their original form. <P>If you want to do those kinds of mods, get yourself a silverface and mod away. In addition to the Vibroverb paper OT reissue I've installed into my BMR, I also have a 68 Super Reverb OT and a 67 Twin Reverb OT for experimentation. <P>(Note the date on the twin OT...) That means somebody probably hacked the original blackface twin amp and never bothered to put the OT back into it. That's exactly why I never advocate doing major modifications to blackface amps.
Schematic Heaven
Schematic Heaven BBS
deltablues
Certified

Postby spentmusic on Mon Jun 18, 2001 7:47 pm

I take it you strongly recommend not doing anything to my old baby Bandmaster!!!<P>I'm not surprised by your response. In fact I have been looking on ebay for a newer one to mod (hack) and will go that route. I just looked at your picture of the wiring and how much sense it made as opposed to what most, all Fenders wiring's look like. <P>Thanks,<P>Jeff
Jeff Swanson
DST
spentmusic
Page

Return to Fender