FS: 1966 Fender Blackface Super Reverb in collector's

Bandmaster, Bassman, Champ, Concert, Deluxe, Harvard, Princeton, Pro, Super, Tremolux, Twin, Vibrasonic, Vibrolux, Vibroverb and others

FS: 1966 Fender Blackface Super Reverb in collector's

Postby Lavely on Mon Jun 18, 2001 1:47 pm

For Sale: a 1966 Blackface Fender Super Reverb that is in extremely clean collector’s condition. The pics pretty much speak for themselves regarding cosmetic condition.<P>Everything that gives this amp its signature tone is original, including speakers and transformers. The only changes to the amp are from a full service done by a top amp tech less than two playing hours ago, and include new caps and a 3-prong power cord installed. I can send the originals if you want them.<P>Original speakers have C7-2266 stamped on the rims – I believe they are CTS?<BR>Original footswitch included<BR>20 detailed pics, including chassis shots, are posted at: <A HREF="http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=1528909&a=13040469" TARGET=_blank>http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=1528909&a=13040469</A> <P>As you can see from the pics, this amp is as clean as they come. Its condition makes it perfect for a collector, but it also will be a reliable player due to the recent servicing.<P>I’m asking $2,200 obo for the amp including shipping, insurance and professional packing (I’m not packing this one myself!). If you are in Minneapolis or the surrounding area, I will take $100 off that price if you pick up the amp.<P>Feel free to Email me – I am happy to answer any questions you might have about the amp.<P>Thanks!<P>Joe Lavely<BR>jlavely@ghf.net
Lavely
Certified

Re: FS: 1966 Fender Blackface Super Reverb in collector's

Postby deltablues on Mon Jun 18, 2001 3:21 pm

Not questioning the "clean" aspect of your amp at all. But... <P>From the looks of the circuit card, the tech you chose did a wholesale swap of all the original carbon comp resistors with metal films. He also replaced every single cap including the original blue mylar paktrons. These don't need to be replaced like electrolytic caps and they along with those carbon comp resistors are largely responsible for blackface era amp's warm tonal character. <P>While all the parts you have in there now are an "upgrade" to the original composition parts, they're definitely not what the amp was built with originally.<P>If you don't mind me asking... What was your tech's name and phone number? I'd love to have all those paktrons he's yanking out of peoples amps. :eek:
Schematic Heaven
"Where All Good Designs Await Resurrection..."
Schematic Heaven BBS
Lots of Good Technical Info
deltablues
Certified

Postby 5163 on Tue Jun 19, 2001 2:20 am

Delatblues is correct!<P>IMO, your amp is very clean; but from a collector's point of view I'd be surprised if you got anywhere near what you're asking.<P>A tech did that to one of my Super Reverbs back in '96 and also added gain modifications. Needless to say, it didn't sound right. I took it to several techs and no one wanted to touch it (too time consuming). Someone showed me how to follow and identify parts on a layout diagram and I ended up replacing 90% of all wiring, resistors and capacitors. It was very difficult to track down orignal parts. Two months ago I finally found someone who had all the blue plastic moulded capacitors! I know many techs feel that the orange drop capacitors are better but I think the amp breaks up better with the blue ones. Its probably all in my mind though.
Page

Postby stratopicker on Tue Jun 19, 2001 4:53 am

The blue ones do break up better and earlier. Nice for smaller venues. Had the caps replaced in my '66 Super Reverb and they are awesome.......The Stratman
evrybodysgottheblues (why have one amp when three amps will do?)
stratopicker
Page

Postby deltablues on Tue Jun 19, 2001 10:16 am

Would any of you like to reveal your source(s) for Blue Paktrons? <P>I'm in the market for them right now with a Vibroverb-clone I'm building.
Schematic Heaven
"Where All Good Designs Await Resurrection..."
Schematic Heaven BBS
Lots of Good Technical Info
deltablues
Certified

Return to Fender