Fender Super Bassman

Bandmaster, Bassman, Champ, Concert, Deluxe, Harvard, Princeton, Pro, Super, Tremolux, Twin, Vibrasonic, Vibrolux, Vibroverb and others

Fender Super Bassman

Postby greengod on Fri Jun 22, 2001 12:23 pm

Hi guys,<BR>last year I bought a very obscure Fender amp, a Super Bassman. It's a 100 w head with a big cabinet with 2x15" JBL speakers. As far as I know it was made between 1969 and 1971. I payed about US$650 for the whole (head and cab). Tonewise, it's a great amp with terrific volume and enormous tone but IMO it's better as a bass amp. I'd like to know if I have spent too much money for it. Indeed, any information and comment about this amp are welcome. Thanks everybody.
"Without music, life would be a mistake" (F. Nietzsche).

www.soundclick.com/bluesbox
http://www.myspace.com/samandthebluesbox
greengod
Knight

Re: Fender Super Bassman

Postby deltablues on Fri Jun 22, 2001 2:55 pm

It's not all that obscure other than the fact that it was only made for 3 years, so the production numbers weren't all that high. <P>During the time that the normal bassman was running 50watts, they made this varient up that doesn't have much in common with the regular bassman as far as design. It actually looks more like a Twin Reverb without the reverb section.<P>It has 4 6L6's, a 100watt PT, and an OT that's expecting a 4 ohm load. <P>Look at the transformer codes to date it exactly. The number you're looking for is stamped on the transformer casing which can be seen from outside the chassis. It begins with 606xxx. The 4th digit reading left to right is the last digit of the year and the last two digits are the week of manufacture.<P>Being that it's an early silverface, it might benifit from doing the same basic blackfacing mods that can be done on all pre 77 silverfaces.<P>Regarding cost, the type of speakers you got in there would be a factor in how much the amp is worth. So you need to look at the manufacturer/date codes on them too. They use the same basic format as above, but the first three digits could be any number of codes since those denote the manufacturer of the speaker.<P>Hope that helps.<BR> :)
Schematic Heaven
"Where All Good Designs Await Resurrection..."
Schematic Heaven BBS
Lots of Good Technical Info
deltablues
Certified

Postby greengod on Sat Jun 23, 2001 6:04 am

Thanks, Deltablues. Can you please tell me more about these basic blackface mods?
"Without music, life would be a mistake" (F. Nietzsche).

www.soundclick.com/bluesbox
http://www.myspace.com/samandthebluesbox
greengod
Knight

Postby deltablues on Sat Jun 23, 2001 10:17 pm

There's not going to be a step by step procedure for doing it since your amp never had a blackface version to compare it to.<P>Your best bet if you don't understand what's involved in blackfacing would be to take it to a reputable tech.<P>It basically involves changing the bias circuit resistor values, removing the parasitic caps, and changing a couple filter and bypass cap values.
Schematic Heaven
"Where All Good Designs Await Resurrection..."
Schematic Heaven BBS
Lots of Good Technical Info
deltablues
Certified

Return to Fender