SF Bassman, is that so wrong?

Bandmaster, Bassman, Champ, Concert, Deluxe, Harvard, Princeton, Pro, Super, Tremolux, Twin, Vibrasonic, Vibrolux, Vibroverb and others

SF Bassman, is that so wrong?

Postby zoso on Tue Jun 26, 2001 8:06 pm

Why does everyone want to black facify their SF Bassmans? :) <P>I have a '69
zoso
Certified

Re: SF Bassman, is that so wrong?

Postby deltablues on Tue Jun 26, 2001 9:22 pm

People want to "blackface" their silverface amps because the changes made during the CBS occupation of Fender under the silverface regime were NOT improvements. <P>CBS was trying to cut cost by making amps faster, which resulted in scrapping the quality controlled lead dress of the blackface era. The trade off for this rats nest lead dressing was noisier unstable amps.<P>CBS then instituted a series of "quieting" mods that helped quiet the amps at the expense of high, mid, and low end response. <P>The following is a short list of your silverface amp's "problems" with respect to tone:<P>1. The added parascitic ground suppression caps on your SF power tubes rob the amp of blackface era high end sparkle. <P>2. The parascitic ground supressor cap on your SF reverb output jack also robs the reverb response from it's blackface sparkle.<P>3. The .01 Ceramic Cap on your phase inverter was put there by CBS to increase bass response. But what it actually did was increase "sub-sonic" (frequencies you can't hear) response. This resulted in flabby sounding bass instead of the punchy blackface era bass tone.<P>4. The chocolate drop filter caps that came in most silverface amps are tone deadening nightmares. Replacing these will open up your high, mid, and low end response a LOT.<P>Blackfacing will make your amp "breath" at stage volumes, add high end sparkle, tighten up your bass, and give your mids some added depth. <P>It's simple, it's cheap, and you can always change it back if you don't like it. But like they say, once you go black(face), you'll never go back... :) :) <P><A HREF="http://www.the-crossroads.org" TARGET=_blank>THE CROSSROADS</A>
Schematic Heaven
"Where All Good Designs Await Resurrection..."
Schematic Heaven BBS
Lots of Good Technical Info
deltablues
Certified

Postby zoso on Wed Jun 27, 2001 12:52 am

Cool. I'll try it. :cool:
zoso
Certified

Postby Highwaystar on Wed Jun 27, 2001 2:23 am

Zoso,<BR> Click on the crossroads that Deltablues has on his posting. Go back in the history and read some of the questions, They are very helpful.<P>I have a friends SF that was converted to a 5F6 curcuit(59 bassman). A SF is cheap and can be found. To mod it to what ever curcuit you would like will not hurt the value.<P>To compare, Its been to long since I've heard a stock AB165.<P>DB, thanks again.
Nate / #7
Highwaystar
King

Return to Fender