keep the VOX AC30cc or go with a Fender? thoughts?

Bandmaster, Bassman, Champ, Concert, Deluxe, Harvard, Princeton, Pro, Super, Tremolux, Twin, Vibrasonic, Vibrolux, Vibroverb and others

keep the VOX AC30cc or go with a Fender? thoughts?

Postby billydoo on Sat Jan 28, 2006 4:07 pm

i'm not sure what it is. looks beautiful. lots of adjustments. great reviews. AMAZING CLEAN TONE. that said, i just can't get it dirty in a way that i like. its got that VOX chime and its not that i hate this amp...but i wonder if i am limiting myself with a boutique style amp that does pretty much ONE thing spectacular and is average for the rest of its voicings. thoughts?

i am wondering if i should go with a Fender Twin with an overdrive pedal since the Fender might have more of a punch to it when used in conjunction with OD pedals. the AC30 is VERY picky with OD pedals.

it would nice to run a clean vox and dirty marshall...but the wife would not be too happy with that idea. LOL.

i don't want a metal sound, but i would like a more punchy clean that is more accepting of the TS9. the TS9 sounds very "tinny" with the AC30...but sounded great with a Fender in the store.

oh, what do i do?
My Website (with some tunes)
http://www.chrisbilodeau.iwarp.com
billydoo
Peasant

Postby Svetlana87 on Sun Jan 29, 2006 3:35 pm

keep the vox!

ditch the pedals :D
There's a little black spot on the sun today,
It's the same old thing as yesterday.
Svetlana87
Court Jester

Postby GuitarMole on Sun Jan 29, 2006 5:37 pm

FWIW, the AC30 has a better clean than a Marshall and a better overdrive than a Fender. I think the best solution would be to ditch the pedals and learn to roll back the volume on your guitar to clean things up.

If you need more gain on demand build or buy a Dallas Rangemaster type pedal...you'll have more sustain and creamy overdrive than you'll know what to do with!
GuitarMole
Page

Postby PeterS on Mon Jan 30, 2006 2:02 am

The TS9 really rolls off a lot of bottom end, maybe you just need a different overdrive pedal...
PeterS
King

Postby spankydoodle on Mon Jan 30, 2006 5:20 am

Keep the Vox unless you want the Fender cleans/reverb and the "American" 6L6 tones.

I've owned both, still have one Fender; but got rid of a vintage 70 Watt Pro (basically a Twin) for the AC30CC (which I still have).

I use single-coil pups w/the following OD's
Keeley Baked TS-9
Keeley BD-2 (Phat Mod)
Keeley Katana Boost
Occassionally a Keeley DS-1 Ultra (on Seeing Eye setting)

The Keeley mods really bring back the full character of the guitar tone (bass/treble) as it passes thru the pedal - the TS does have an inherent mid-hump, but the BD-2 is very transparent. I generally run the amp w/a light clip clean with the BD-2 for light gain, the TS-9 for smooth crunch and kick in the Katana for leads (set before the OD signal path). Will sometimes kick in either the DS-1 or the BD-2 before the TS-9 for other OD tones (TS-9+DS-1 gets really crunchy!).

Had a bunch of guitarists find me after the show last night to say how 'hot' the guitar tone was and ask about the setup. Was pleasantly surprised. Tele > OD > AC30CC (now sporting a G12H30+V30).
spankydoodle

Postby Dark Martini on Thu Feb 16, 2006 9:50 pm

I have the AC30cc2x. My tubescreamer didn't sound right with it at all. However, I had an old (early 80's) DOD 250 preamp which agrees well with the amp, and I recenltly got a Fulltone OCD which sounds awesome with this amp! Perfect for when you need to Marshall-ize the amp a little!

My advice - keep the Vox, add the OCD.
Dark Martini
Peasant

Postby Mayhawk on Thu Feb 23, 2006 4:53 am

I would echo keeping the Vox. Wonderful tones that can go so many places. Pop, country, blues, classic R&R. You may wanna try another pedal if you HAVE to use a pedal..........treble booster type pedals come to mind. Check Scott Humphrey's Crispy Creme model. Or a Diaz treble booster. Or just forget the OD stuff alltogether. Lots to love in an AC30.

If you want to pair the Vox with another amp (run together for shows, sound great!), consider an older Bassman or Bandmaster. BF Bandmasters are still great deals; so are Bassman's but they are more pricey.........still deals. Ample commodities on Ebay. Add a 2x12 cab and this would be a nice compliment to your AC30. Or even consider a '59 reissue Bassman. These are nice amps that can be improved readily with better tubes and (if you got the money) a better set of 10" speakers.
Mayhawk
User of the Murse

Postby viclederman on Thu Feb 23, 2006 8:44 am

I chose a reissue twin over the vox but then again I’m going to do weird stuff to it. Like pull to of the tubes and run EL84s in it, change the speakers so it can run two with the right load, and on and on.
man where am I
viclederman
Page

Postby bjm007 on Sun Feb 26, 2006 8:05 pm

keep 'em both :shock:
So much gear, so little time.......
bjm007
Certified

Postby viclederman on Mon Feb 27, 2006 6:45 am

bjm007 wrote:keep 'em both :shock:

yes that's the way to do it. more more more :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
man where am I
viclederman
Page

Postby edred on Thu Mar 02, 2006 1:41 pm

viclederman wrote:
bjm007 wrote:keep 'em both :shock:

yes that's the way to do it. more more more :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

++++++1!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 8)
"Im not sure who the best guitar player in the world is, its not edred, thats for sure, Garcia agrees with me on this...;"
Jimi Hendrix
edred
Knight

Return to Fender