Fender Vibratone/Leslie 16

Bandmaster, Bassman, Champ, Concert, Deluxe, Harvard, Princeton, Pro, Super, Tremolux, Twin, Vibrasonic, Vibrolux, Vibroverb and others

Fender Vibratone/Leslie 16

Postby Derrick on Mon Jan 26, 2009 8:41 pm

Hi, Information I found on the Fender Vibratone/Leslie 16 says it has a Utah V10R9 10" speaker, rated at 4 ohms. I've seen it listed that the Vibratone/16 speaker could handle 60watts. Can anyone confirm this? Does anyone know where I could get info on the Utah V10R9 10" speaker to confirm the power capability or any other useful info? Thanks!
KEEP THOSE THINGS ORIGINAL, BOYS!
Derrick
Baron

Re: Fender Vibratone/Leslie 16

Postby 57lpjr on Mon Jan 26, 2009 9:29 pm

Good timing on this subject. I was watching an eBay auction that just ended and there are some links in the description that might be helpful;

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=250362286560
I have more gear than I need...but not as much gear as I want...

"Roll over Woodstock - we won!" & "Music is life, and life is not a business." (Iggy Pop 3/15/10)

"but lately one or two has fully paid their due for working for the clampdown...HAH, Gitalong, Gitalong"

"I believe, believe, believe, that there's better days ahead. I believe, believe, believe, that there's a heaven before I'm dead."

"I'll play for free but I gotta get paid for breaking my s**t down at the end of the night"
57lpjr
Ampmeister

Postby Derrick on Mon Jan 26, 2009 10:23 pm

Hmmm... well, he says nothing about the original speaker and doesn't show it (his internals are from an article on line).
Derrick
Baron

Postby gemmill on Mon Jan 26, 2009 10:35 pm

i'd put money on the original speaker sounding really so-so... if 60 watts isn't enough, put in something more robust.
gemmill
Knight

Postby pcosmo on Tue Jan 27, 2009 12:36 am

are you sure that rig has only a 10" speaker?
"I appreciate any group that will have me as a member"
http://www.petecosenza.com/
pcosmo
Page

Postby mkguitar on Tue Jan 27, 2009 2:19 am

I have a 16.

The rated power handling capacity is due to a filter network which trims the highs and lows...allowing mostly mids to hit the speaker.
So maybe you can put 60 watts into the system but the filter takes most of it away.
The filter is containing in the cable adapter- not inside the box.

You can wire around the filter but the speaker is probably worth 25 watts ( I'm guessing).

Mine gets only studio use so i am ok with that.

I have Pals who use the 16/ Vibratone with modern high power handling speakers and no filter network. It does sound better full range.

MK
Last edited by mkguitar on Tue Jan 27, 2009 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
On Tour
mkguitar
Squire

Postby 57lpjr on Tue Jan 27, 2009 1:23 pm

I thought maybe the link to the Owners Manual would provide some info. My Solid State Leslie 825 had a 12" EV SRO (later style with white frame and black finned magnet) which I pulled out when I sold it off for parts...still have the speaker though...
I have more gear than I need...but not as much gear as I want...

"Roll over Woodstock - we won!" & "Music is life, and life is not a business." (Iggy Pop 3/15/10)

"but lately one or two has fully paid their due for working for the clampdown...HAH, Gitalong, Gitalong"

"I believe, believe, believe, that there's better days ahead. I believe, believe, believe, that there's a heaven before I'm dead."

"I'll play for free but I gotta get paid for breaking my s**t down at the end of the night"
57lpjr
Ampmeister

Postby Derrick on Tue Jan 27, 2009 4:00 pm

57lpjr wrote:I thought maybe the link to the Owners Manual would provide some info...

Oh, your link was to an acuction but I did find the manual elswhere... it does actually say that the power handling of the speaker is 100 watts and that the Leslie draws 60 watts in use (from wall supply). So the info on many web pages is plain wrong! This is where I hate the internet and it's bad info. So many take a quick and careless few figures and arrange them on a web site as wrong info. Anyhow, it's not clear to me if the manual is saying that it's 100 watts with or without the filter harness. I would guess with because this was supplied and inteded to be used.

Either way, I asked because I saw one yesterday... and ended up buying it! It is in great shape and I've wanted one since the dawn of time (15 years :lol: ). It doesn't have the original speaker though. I know some don't care for Utah (what should be in there) or Oxford and only like Jensen, but Utah worked for the Beatles :wink: Maybe I will find a Utah one of these days. It has a Fender in there now. Any other suggestions for a good 10" speaker for my Leslie 16? Here are some pics:

Derrick
Baron

Postby Tonekat on Mon Feb 02, 2009 9:42 pm

Hey, nice find there Derrick! I was gonna send you the link for the owner's manual that says the speaker takes 100w, but you found it I see.

According to Ampedia, only the mid range freq. went to the Vibratone speaker.
Tonekat
Page

Postby black tiger on Mon Feb 02, 2009 9:52 pm

Derrick wrote:It has a Fender in there now.

Fender never made speakers, so it may well be a Utah. Check the codes on the frame.
black tiger
Squire

Postby Derrick on Mon Feb 02, 2009 10:16 pm

Thanks guys, well I realise that Fender never made speakers... but I cannot make out what is ink stamped on the back of the magnet area. The back of the speaker says:

fender
PFB-1020
8 ohms CK9

The only code that looked at all familliar was the "CK9" but I cannot remember where I saw something like that. Any ideas on what any of these stamped codes mean?
Derrick
Baron

Postby black tiger on Mon Feb 02, 2009 10:38 pm

No clue on those codes. Maybe someone could identify it from a picture if you have one.
black tiger
Squire

Postby Tonekat on Thu Feb 05, 2009 6:09 pm

No idea about those numbers/letters either. I'm sure you've seen this picture of a speaker at http://www.nmia.com/~vrbass/vibratone/, but as they say, it's a Leslie 18, so may not be the same speaker.
Tonekat
Page

Postby Tonekat on Thu Feb 05, 2009 6:25 pm

OK, found a picture of the speaker in the Leslie 16 cab: http://www.tdpri.com/forum/amp-central- ... ssues.html
Tonekat
Page

Postby Derrick on Thu Feb 05, 2009 7:20 pm

Thanks Tonekat, the second picture looks like the original one... I'm not sure what I have in mine and I cannot find any usable info on it. :cry:
Derrick
Baron

Return to Fender