One for the very early Marshall experts

Hosted by Marshall Founding Father G3SDW. Discuss JTM45, JTM50, JTM100, Bluesbreaker, Super Lead, Super Bass, 200W, 100W, 50W, 20W, Plexi Panels, Metal Panels, 4x12 straight, 4x12 slant, Pinstripe, Basketweave, Checkerboard, Park, Kitchen-Marshall and Narb

Re: One for the very early Marshall experts

Postby spaman on Fri Nov 09, 2012 6:59 am

rlivesey wrote:Hi Don,

Glad to hear you still have that Marshall, that must have been 15 years ago now !? If you can make it over to see us sometime that would be great, you'd be welcome to stay with us, we have plenty of room.

I just noticed that an amp on the the top of the pile of JTM's on the Plexi Palace homepage has an almost identical black panel and a black badge. I think if Victor could chime in about that amp it would clear up any doubt once and for all.

http://vintageamps.com/

Rob.

Doubt about what?
Will
spaman
Peasant

Postby Unit_1 on Mon Dec 10, 2012 4:40 pm

demonufo wrote:

OH MY GIDDY AUNT! WHAT A PIECE! :shock:

Holy schmoly. I feel sick having not spotted that. :crybaby:

well it's back on the bay now

and it references this post.... lol....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MARSHALL-JTM45-PROTOTYPE-HEAD-CHASSIS-1963-RARE-/251197928934?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item3a7c9035e6
The ability to play/make music is a gift that not everyone gets. Those of us who have it should use it.

Asimov:Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today — but the core of science fiction, its essence, the concept around which it revolves, has become crucial to our salvation if we are to be saved at all.
Unit_1
Prince

Location: Kali4ñia (a small planet orbiting the west coast of the United States)

Postby Ned B on Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:32 am

It's a neat piece to be sure and will be interesting to see how it is receiveded by the market.
Ned B
Baron

Postby rlivesey on Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:48 am

.........and there's a first bid on it at £5999........ :shock:
rlivesey
Page

Postby Clockdogg on Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:42 pm

spaman wrote:
rlivesey wrote:Hi Don,

Glad to hear you still have that Marshall, that must have been 15 years ago now !? If you can make it over to see us sometime that would be great, you'd be welcome to stay with us, we have plenty of room.

I just noticed that an amp on the the top of the pile of JTM's on the Plexi Palace homepage has an almost identical black panel and a black badge. I think if Victor could chime in about that amp it would clear up any doubt once and for all.

http://vintageamps.com/

Rob.

Doubt about what?
Will

The authenticity of the output transformer for instance.

According to RS sales literature (and well established consensus regarding the timeline of the different versions of RS Deluxe OTs) this particular type - with the screened label - wasn't yet in production in 1963; even less in (late) 1962.

Check that (recent) soldering on the secondaries...

This amp may very well be an early and genuine Marshall prototype. Yet, I believe the OT is a replacement and the amp originally had one of the paper label variety. Just like any other early JTM45.

At £6K2 I would want to know..

:2cents:
Clockdogg
Court Jester

Postby Unit_1 on Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:03 pm

this is what master obi ken kenobi had to say:

G3SDW wrote:I Must admit this one has got me beat but one thing is for sure that it is from the Marshall stable, for me the give away is the presence control. This was introduced by Ken Bran because he thought at the time it would get around the patent problem but as we know now there was not a patent on the Fender Bassman.

It is of course possible that it was one of the prototypes that Dudley played around with, but then why has it got KT66 fitted, they came later, odd one.

Regards

Ken Underwood
The ability to play/make music is a gift that not everyone gets. Those of us who have it should use it.

Asimov:Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today — but the core of science fiction, its essence, the concept around which it revolves, has become crucial to our salvation if we are to be saved at all.
Unit_1
Prince

Location: Kali4ñia (a small planet orbiting the west coast of the United States)

Postby Ned B on Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:11 am

OK so now it's pulled. What's that all about?
Ned B
Baron

Postby Unit_1 on Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:01 am

This listing was ended by the seller because the item is no longer available.

sounds like someone walked into his shop and made an offer he could not refuse....

drats, i was watching that to see what it went for.........

Unit_1
Prince

Postby Alnico on Wed Dec 19, 2012 6:59 pm

Unit_1 wrote:
This listing was ended by the seller because the item is no longer available.

sounds like someone walked into his shop and made an offer he could not refuse....

drats, i was watching that to see what it went for.........

Or the shill bidding had failed to bring any real bidders out of the woodwork and he was worried about being stuck with a big final value fee. Hard to say with private auctions.
Alnico
Knight

Postby rlivesey on Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:35 pm

I exchanged a couple of emails with Will today.

First of all, he doesn't have a shop, he's just an amp nut like the rest of us. He lives nearby to me and we have known each other for over 20 years. These days he's the go-to guy for amp repairs for all the local musicians in the area, as well as doing some amp hire business for touring bands and studios. He's always been big into Vox and Hiwatt, although he does have a beautiful Blonde Twin, which I was offered and missed because I didn't have the cash about 10 years ago, but that's another story.

He was offered what I would consider an extraordinary amount of money for it, off ebay. But in the end, he's decided to keep it until such time when he may need the money. I'm going to go round and take some detailed pics of the amp for posterity, and I hope to replace the pics on my site with those when that happens.

Rob.
rlivesey
Page

Postby Unit_1 on Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:59 pm

rlivesey wrote:I exchanged a couple of emails with Will today.

First of all, he doesn't have a shop, he's just an amp nut like the rest of us. He lives nearby to me and we have known each other for over 20 years. These days he's the go-to guy for amp repairs for all the local musicians in the area, as well as doing some amp hire business for touring bands and studios. He's always been big into Vox and Hiwatt, although he does have a beautiful Blonde Twin, which I was offered and missed because I didn't have the cash about 10 years ago, but that's another story.

He was offered what I would consider an extraordinary amount of money for it, off ebay. But in the end, he's decided to keep it until such time when he may need the money. I'm going to go round and take some detailed pics of the amp for posterity, and I hope to replace the pics on my site with those when that happens.

Rob.

be sure to forward a link to those pics so we can drool over them....

:cheers:

Unit_1
Prince

Postby spaman on Mon Apr 14, 2014 5:56 am

SOLD!…... :D :D For A LOT of money!
spaman
Peasant

Postby LD50 on Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:41 am

C'mon Will spill beans....

....at least a little detail :wink:
All bleeding stops.......eventually.
LD50
Prince