My '68 Super Tremolo and a request for help

Hosted by Marshall Founding Father G3SDW. Discuss JTM45, JTM50, JTM100, Bluesbreaker, Super Lead, Super Bass, 200W, 100W, 50W, 20W, Plexi Panels, Metal Panels, 4x12 straight, 4x12 slant, Pinstripe, Basketweave, Checkerboard, Park, Kitchen-Marshall and Narb

My '68 Super Tremolo and a request for help

Postby shaunf on Tue Apr 07, 2015 10:11 am

Hi All,

My name is Shaun and I'm a vintage Marshall fan from South Africa.

I recently acquired a '68 Super Tremolo via the local classifieds and have set about wanting to try to bring it back to as close to original as possible.

When I got it, the Bulgin power socket was gone and replaced with a terrible blue Neutrik powercon socket. The mains fuseholder had also been replaced with a smaller 5x20 fuse holder, and secured using some makeshift material to hold it in place. I also noted that the front panel of the head box had been recovered with black vinyl, and the gold tinsel piping had been replaced with white piping unfortunately. I can't understand why this was the case as the rest of the tolex on the head box is original and the gold "string" that runs across the front panel under the Marshall logo is also original. Does anyone know where I can source some proper new gold piping for the front panel surround? I have some that came from AES but it doesn't look right compared to the old stuff. The clear vinyl seems too thick, and the tinsel inside is too thin. Would really appreciate any assistance with this, as it will really finish the amp off properly if I can source the correct looking stuff.

I took a few photos of the amp yesterday after I had replaced the power socket with a NOS Bulgin unit and installed a correct size mains fuse holder (not NOS but it will do for now until I can find a NOS one). I managed to start the amp up with some good tubes after bringing the voltage up slowly on the variac and not finding any issues and so I heard her voice for the first time yesterday. Here she is:

shaunf
Peasant

Re: My '68 Super Tremolo and a request for help

Postby Kuli on Tue Apr 07, 2015 10:43 am

Hi Shaun.

Welcome to the forum!
Really nice amp you have there! I'm not sure I can help you out in your needs, but as a little comfort, you can meet your amps close (and extremely nice sounding) relative here:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=74358
'66 JTM 45
'66 JTM 45/100
'68 1959T Super Tremolo
'69 1987 Lead
'69 Royal Purple 1960B basketweave
'70 4x12" Park blue basketweave
Kuli
Knight

Postby captpete on Tue Apr 07, 2015 1:27 pm

Hi Shaun, welcome to the board.
Here is a thread on the gold piping: http://vintageamps.com/plexiboard/viewt ... f=1&t=3902

Nice looking example of a fairly unmolested amp. I have #10370.
If you decide to replace the mains caps on the board you can check out how mine turned out. It kind of looks like one of yours might be leaking?
Pete
'55 Fender Deluxe
'68 Marshall 1959T
'73 Marshall 2061 Lead/Bass 20watt head
Marshall 2061CX 2x12 cabinet
'76 Marshall 2204
XX Marshall 1960AC
'68 Marshall Basketweave
'65 VOX cambridge reverb
'68 Fender Twin reverb
'98 Wolfgang EVH
'72 Gibson SG Standard
'92 Fender '52 Tele
'74 Fender P-bass
'79 Fender Lead I
'90's Danelectro DC59
2013 Gibson Les Paul R9 Cherry Burst
captpete
Page

Postby shaunf on Tue Apr 07, 2015 2:33 pm

Hi Kuli and Captpete,

Thanks very much for the responses!

Kuli: I'm very pleased to make yours and your amp's acquaintance, as you point out, they're cousins! It always interests me to find out where amps of often close serial numbers ended up. I heard that during this period, Marshall often used the same sequence of serial numbers for more than one model. Out of interest my first vintage Marshall was a '69 JMP50 metal panel. Several years after I acquired it, I bought a '69 Marshall PA 20watter metal panel that was exactly 100 serial numbers from my JMP50. I reckon they probably arrived in South Africa as part of the same initial shipment.

Kuli, I saw you got your tolex and piping for your excellent restoration from TAD. I was just on their website and see they have 2 options for the gold tinsel piping. One is called "Special version" and from the pictures it certainly looks better than the stuff I got from tubesandmore.com. I wonder if I should order some of this to look at? I'd love to have the original NOS material, but this might prove to be impossible. I would settle for something that is aesthetically closer to the original material than what I currently have on hand.

Captpete: Thanks for your response too! Your cap job turned out great, and I'm sure I'm going to have to go this route too if I decide to keep this amp longterm. I'm not sure what makes you say that it looks like the caps are leaking though? I looked over them quite closely and didn't detect any signs of electrolyte leaking, swelling etc and they formed well? Still, 47 year old caps are 47 year old caps. Also, thanks for that link regarding the Marshall gold string. The sprayed wire tip looks great for the string, but all my original string is intact. I'm looking for the tinsel piping that goes around the edge of the front panel, where it meets the sides of the head box. I saw some people mentioning getting the tinsel and heatshrinking it in clear heatshrink but I don't know how viable that is.

Thanks again guys, looking forward to chatting about these amps some more and for any other comments, suggestions etc. 8)
shaunf
Peasant

Postby captpete on Tue Apr 07, 2015 4:05 pm

I was referring to the staining on the outside of one of the caps. Must be from something else.
Pete
'55 Fender Deluxe
'68 Marshall 1959T
'73 Marshall 2061 Lead/Bass 20watt head
Marshall 2061CX 2x12 cabinet
'76 Marshall 2204
XX Marshall 1960AC
'68 Marshall Basketweave
'65 VOX cambridge reverb
'68 Fender Twin reverb
'98 Wolfgang EVH
'72 Gibson SG Standard
'92 Fender '52 Tele
'74 Fender P-bass
'79 Fender Lead I
'90's Danelectro DC59
2013 Gibson Les Paul R9 Cherry Burst
captpete
Page

Postby Kuli on Wed Apr 08, 2015 6:32 am

shaunf wrote:I'd love to have the original NOS material, but this might prove to be impossible

Yeah, but you could give it a try and make an ad over at 'Classified Ads' - you'd be surprised over what kind of stuff people around here is possessing.
'66 JTM 45
'66 JTM 45/100
'68 1959T Super Tremolo
'69 1987 Lead
'69 Royal Purple 1960B basketweave
'70 4x12" Park blue basketweave
Kuli
Knight

Postby shaunf on Wed Apr 08, 2015 10:55 am

Thanks for the tip, I will do so.
shaunf
Peasant

Postby Strat59 on Wed Apr 08, 2015 8:49 pm

captpete wrote:I was referring to the staining on the outside of one of the caps. Must be from something else.
Pete

Looks like someone was a little sloppy with the solder joint dye and it dripped onto the cap can.
"Blues players don't mess around with a guitar, they hit the bloody thing"........ Rory Gallagher
Strat59
Baron

Return to Marshall