Elgen amp Humble Pie!

Burns, Selmer, WEM, and more

Re: Elgen amp Humble Pie!

Postby CDH on Fri Mar 14, 2014 9:33 pm

Yesterday was a VERY good day. One less hole to fill in the stable. Elgen Stereo 100 head and 4X12 both PATHETICALLY mint. Hoping any minor grief is just down to the duff'd Brimars. Will know soon enough. Pics to follow.

Last edited by CDH on Wed May 31, 2017 6:42 pm, edited 5 times in total.
CDH
Court Jester

Postby CDH on Fri Mar 14, 2014 11:38 pm

Last edited by CDH on Wed May 31, 2017 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CDH
Court Jester

Postby Charmless on Sun Mar 16, 2014 2:10 am

CDH wrote:Yesterday was a VERY good day. One less hole to fill in the stable. Elgen Stereo 100 head and 4X12 both PATHETICALLY mint. Hoping any minor grief is just down to the duff'd Brimars. Will know soon enough. Pics to follow.

http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o256/cdh61/Elgen1_zps26e99686.jpg~original
http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o256/cdh61/Elgen2_zps4e9d0509.jpg~original
http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o256/cdh61/Elgen3_zpsdec64e97.jpg~original

I am so jealous it hurts!
Charmless
Certified

Elgen amp Humble Pie!

Postby CDH on Sat Mar 29, 2014 1:53 am

Not the same Fanes (122148) that were stock in my Elgen restoration project cab but still all good as obviously original to the cab. Given that driver condition info I'm sure the head will check out fine once the gassed 34's are bin'd. That's the next leg of the project. I guess now the stripped Elgen restore project can go on the block sans Fanes.

Last edited by CDH on Wed May 31, 2017 6:53 pm, edited 4 times in total.
CDH
Court Jester

Postby Unit_1 on Sat Mar 29, 2014 3:43 pm

very pretty, sound clips soon? :mrgreen:

The ability to play/make music is a gift that not everyone gets. Those of us who have it should use it.

Asimov:Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today — but the core of science fiction, its essence, the concept around which it revolves, has become crucial to our salvation if we are to be saved at all.
Unit_1
Prince

Location: Kali4ñia (a small planet orbiting the west coast of the United States)

Postby CDH on Sun Mar 30, 2014 12:52 am

Lets hope so lol. The gassed 34's have me a little ancy. Should be getting it reformed and powered up in a couple weeks.

Last edited by CDH on Wed May 31, 2017 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CDH
Court Jester

Postby LD50 on Mon Dec 22, 2014 2:24 pm

CDH wrote:Lets hope so lol. The gassed 34's have me a little ancy. Should be getting it reformed and powered up in a couple weeks.

How long? :wink:
All bleeding stops.......eventually.
LD50
Prince

Postby CDH on Sun Feb 08, 2015 9:06 pm

Some things are worth waiting for when you have the right tech !
CDH
Court Jester

Postby LD50 on Thu Aug 25, 2016 7:57 am

To resurrect this thread.

Amp is now tidied up and has new filter caps (powder venting originals)

I noticed that the heater chain is tied to the output jack ground and the cathode grounds of the output tubes.

Cannot open Tracy Norton's schems but pics of the two other amps here have same arrangement. No other schems on google.

Not familiar with this - surely will draw a lot of heater juice??
LD50
Prince

Postby pdf64 on Thu Aug 25, 2016 8:41 am

LD50 wrote:...I noticed that the heater chain is tied to the output jack ground and the cathode grounds of the output tubes...

You will find that on most every tube amp circuit, the heater circuit is referenced to the HT supply, usually at a 0V / chassis point.
It is a similar situation to the normal mains supply, in which neutral is referenced to ground / the earth.
No current flows in normal conditions.
If there is a fault, eg a cooker rings blows or a tube shorts, then yes, a lot of current can flow.
That should blow a fuse, cut the energy source, and prevent a fire / electrocution hazard.

It also helps prevent the heaters causing noise in the signal circuits.

Also tubes have a limiting voltage between their cathode and their heaters; a solid reference (eg heater winding CT) can prevent leakage resistance or fault conditions resulting in that limit being exceeded, with possible damage to the heater - cathode insulation of every tube in the amp.
My band:-http://www.youtube.com/user/RedwingBand
pdf64
Knight

Postby LD50 on Sat Aug 27, 2016 1:41 pm

pdf64 wrote:
LD50 wrote:...I noticed that the heater chain is tied to the output jack ground and the cathode grounds of the output tubes...

You will find that on most every tube amp circuit, the heater circuit is referenced to the HT supply, usually at a 0V / chassis point.
It is a similar situation to the normal mains supply, in which neutral is referenced to ground / the earth.
No current flows in normal conditions.
If there is a fault, eg a cooker rings blows or a tube shorts, then yes, a lot of current can flow.
That should blow a fuse, cut the energy source, and prevent a fire / electrocution hazard.

It also helps prevent the heaters causing noise in the signal circuits.

Also tubes have a limiting voltage between their cathode and their heaters; a solid reference (eg heater winding CT) can prevent leakage resistance or fault conditions resulting in that limit being exceeded, with possible damage to the heater - cathode insulation of every tube in the amp.

Thank you, very helpful, more used to ground reference on heaters being either side of a centre tap for ground reference, but I guess this is no different as there is o centre tap, the preamp tubes are on one heater line and the outputs on the other.

I also found Mr Norton's schem drawings - I had saved them, somewhere so safe it took me 2 days to remember where I put them!
LD50
Prince

Postby CDH on Fri Oct 21, 2016 9:50 pm

I'm over working you lol. The Cans on this one are stock RS and were good. It was the cans in the Lead 100 that were toast.

This one has been home for a while. We both know where the Lead 100 is currently residing. All Couriers must die by my hand.....slowly.
CDH
Court Jester

Postby CDH on Fri Oct 21, 2016 10:18 pm

Here's the Lead 100 pre-purchase pics. I'll do some post-op (Belling Lee, LCR, McMurdo etc) pics once I actually have it in hand. Gearhab looming.

CDH
Court Jester

Previous

Return to Miscellaneous British Amplifiers