How 'vintage' is a Customshop Tonemaster?

Bandmaster, Bassman, Champ, Concert, Deluxe, Harvard, Princeton, Pro, Super, Tremolux, Twin, Vibrasonic, Vibrolux, Vibroverb and others

How 'vintage' is a Customshop Tonemaster?

Postby tubeswell on Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:52 am

Just had my first one in for a service. Not the most practical design to service - bias pot is hidden under the main board, and both the board and the pot have to be removed to get at the little filter cap on the pot.

The little can thingys are FX send and return transformers.

As for the lead dress - take no prisoners!

All the IC caps were bulging slightly by the way. (I replaced them all and the fuse blowing was cured)
Last edited by tubeswell on Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
He who dies with the most tubes... wins.
tubeswell
Peasant

Re: How 'vintage' is a Customshop Tonemaster?

Postby stratele52 on Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:49 am

Nothing vintage in this amp .

A poor wiring point to point circuit with low cost parts
stratele52
Knight

Postby Naked Clarke on Thu Jul 06, 2017 2:55 pm

Hand wired perhaps but use of tag boards not point to point.
Naked Clarke
Page

Postby stratele52 on Thu Jul 06, 2017 3:21 pm

IMO, it is a kind of point to point

Only printed circuit are not P to P
stratele52
Knight

Postby Dean Jr. on Sat Jul 15, 2017 5:14 pm

OPinions....everyone has one. Usage.....everyone adopts changes to their personal thought pattern.
In the truest definition of the term, point to point is just that....there is nothing between the components except wire and the leads from resistors and capacitors. Then there are terminal strips, eyelet boards, tag boards, and turret boards which are--like PTP---handwired. Some people use the term PTP in reference to these methods. I don't. I call them what they are....terminal strips, eyelet boards, tagboards, and turret boards. Others'MMV...and that is fine by me...

Tonemaster and vintage??? well, the topography of the circuit takes a bit from the 5F6A/5F8A tweed pages in that the tone stack does not follow the first gain stage in either mode. IT is hard to find a modern amp that does not take some 'vintage' Fender thoughts. Marshall built the first Bassman clone. Boutique amp builders are really busy cloning BF circuits.
As for the quality of the parts???? I might posit that Fender might not have been accessing the most expensive parts, either. Leo counted his pennies. Otherwise for example, he would have installed P12P or P12N speakers in the tweed Deluxe and gotten a much better amp out of it, imho. this continued on through all of his ownership. Ex: Leo and Co. used a C12R in the 22-watt BF Deluxe. I have a '64 Ric B9A...5 watt single ended amp with trem...think vibrochamp---but better. RIC used a solid copper chassis and a C12Q in that 5 watt amp. That is putting the money into production. That amp makes a Vibrochamp sound like a toy, imho. LEo and Co. used a little puny 8" speaker in the same type of circuit.
Dean Jr.
Page

Return to Fender