Please help me identify my Deluxe reverb amp

Bandmaster, Bassman, Champ, Concert, Deluxe, Harvard, Princeton, Pro, Super, Tremolux, Twin, Vibrasonic, Vibrolux, Vibroverb and others

Please help me identify my Deluxe reverb amp

Postby Testudo on Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:25 pm

Hello,

i would kindly ask for your help, to help me identify my Fender Deluxe reverb amp. It was my first amp i bought used in 1991 and is still my #1. It was in a terrible shape when i bought it. I had it repaired at the time, so that it was kinds working. That was all i needed at the time :rawk:
Later i have had it fully restored, replaced the already changed speaker with a Celestion Gold and it is working beautiful today. Sometimes the vibrato needs some time before it starts working but otherwise its perfect.

Anyways, i am writing this post as i am interested in exact age of this amp. Its a silverface deluxe reverb. Based on chassis number, the amp was made in 1968. Its the Export model. Everything seems correct, but what confuses me is the amp logo. Its a NO tail one (should have been with a tail). I taught it was from a later period, 70s but its different. Look at the screw that is placed next to letter R instead of being at the end? Based on some websites, the logo was used on Fender cases 1966.
http://amsterdamguitarcompany.com/korte ... enis-strat

http://imgur.com/a/IhqqJ

There seem to be no other visible wholes on the grille so it must have been put there originally. Has anyone else seen something like that or do you have any more info on it? After that, i can precisely define the age as well as if all parts are original on my amp.

Thank you for your help!
Testudo
Peasant

Re: Please help me identify my Deluxe reverb amp

Postby Dean Jr. on Sat Jul 22, 2017 7:33 pm

Testudo, congrats on a nice map. Fwiw, I don't even look at a serial number for dating since those numbers were of no use until around 2000. Prior to that, we all dated Fender amps by the date codes on the components. This still is the best way to do that since during the process of getting those date codes one can also determine the originality of the amp.
IF you want to learn a lot about Fender amps, go to Greg Gagliano Bibliography and read the 6 articles entitled "Dating Fender Amps". The work that was done in gathering the information for those articles is how the serial number chart came in to being.
Dean Jr.
Page

Postby Testudo on Sat Jul 22, 2017 8:07 pm

Hey Dean jr! Thank you.
The pots are dated to 67,68. So the age is correct.
The only thing is the front grille. It had the correct aluminum frame. But based on the age it should have tailed Fender sign. Maybe its just one they had in stock from the 66?
Testudo
Peasant

Postby Dean Jr. on Sat Jul 22, 2017 8:20 pm

Those pot date codes, the transformer date codes, the date codes on the electrolytics---if original, and the date code on the speaker are what matter, ime. Yes, things like the logo can be applied 'out of date'.....just like the neck plate serial numbers and the bridge serial numbers back in the '50's on Teles. Parts get covered up in the bin by newer incoming parts, so they can be 'out of date'. Having a logo from a slightly earlier period would not bother me. IF the logo were from a later date than all of the components, then that would raise a red flag.
Dean Jr.
Page

Postby Naked Clarke on Sun Jul 23, 2017 1:39 pm

What is the chassis serial number? Does the faceplate have vertical black lines between the channels? The SF amps of a certain era often had the two digit date stamp code inside the chassis so check for that. What are the transformer and choke model and manuf/date codes?
Naked Clarke
Page

Postby Factory Guy on Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:44 pm

Hey,

No mystery here, 1968 was the first year Fender used a NO TAIL grill logo on ONE particular amp purposly. It started with the 1968 Fender Bronco Amp. If you look at the 1968 Fender catalog you can clearly see there is no tail on the Fender grill logo for the 1968 Bronco Amp, while ALL the other amps in the catalog have the long tail grill logo.

99.99 percent of all OTHER 1968 Fender amps had the LONG TAIL grill logo, but, the Fender Bronco Amp used the grill logo that was used on the Fender guitar cases. And a few other random amp grills left the factory with the NO TAIL grill logo when someone didn't pay attention to what they grabbed from the stockroom.

I'll try to post a picture of my 1968 Bronco Amp.

Rock On!

Testudo wrote:Hello,

i would kindly ask for your help, to help me identify my Fender Deluxe reverb amp. It was my first amp i bought used in 1991 and is still my #1. It was in a terrible shape when i bought it. I had it repaired at the time, so that it was kinds working. That was all i needed at the time :rawk:
Later i have had it fully restored, replaced the already changed speaker with a Celestion Gold and it is working beautiful today. Sometimes the vibrato needs some time before it starts working but otherwise its perfect.

Anyways, i am writing this post as i am interested in exact age of this amp. Its a silverface deluxe reverb. Based on chassis number, the amp was made in 1968. Its the Export model. Everything seems correct, but what confuses me is the amp logo. Its a NO tail one (should have been with a tail). I taught it was from a later period, 70s but its different. Look at the screw that is placed next to letter R instead of being at the end? Based on some websites, the logo was used on Fender cases 1966.
http://amsterdamguitarcompany.com/korte ... enis-strat

http://imgur.com/a/IhqqJ

There seem to be no other visible wholes on the grille so it must have been put there originally. Has anyone else seen something like that or do you have any more info on it? After that, i can precisely define the age as well as if all parts are original on my amp.

Thank you for your help!
Sound Engineer/Guitar Strangler/Motorcyclist. Not neccessarily in that order... Depends on what day it is :)
Factory Guy
Peasant

Postby Testudo on Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:59 pm

Thank you Factory guy!

Yes, the sign on my amp looks exactly like this one on Bronco amp:
https://reverb.com/item/2408897-vintage ... id=1&pid=1

Second screw is on the letter R in FendeR, which must have been an old stock from the 66.
So looks like it is the original part :D
Testudo
Peasant

Return to Fender