Some Info From Jess OLiver On My R12R

Small combos like Mercury and Jet, Jess Oliver's fliptop Portaflex, the Gemini, Echotwin, B25, V4, VT22 up to the 300 watt SVT

Some Info From Jess OLiver On My R12R

Postby bugzy on Sun Jan 25, 2009 2:07 am

I have another thread where I asked some questions about the 1961 R12R that I had recently acquired. I got some great answers and great info from replies and thought I would update. I got a hold of Jess Oliver and here is what he had to say about the serial numbers being off and whether is it a proto or not.

"It's not a prototype, we simply added reverb to the Rocket model, R12, and went into production. The serial number sounds like a mistake. The first # is right, the 1 designates the year, 1961 The second two digits should be 05 for May, and the last three for how many amps that month. I remember Vinnie very well. He was the final assembly foreman. It was easy for him to get the numbers screwed up.
It was sometime, maybe two years later , when we were in New Jersey,
we changed the tube complement, instead of 6V6 output tubes, we used 7591 tubes."

From some other things we discussed he seems like a nice guy. I was surprised I was actually able to get a hold of him.
bugzy
Peasant

Re: Some Info From Jess OLiver On My R12R

Postby Baron Von Machinenmann on Sun Jan 25, 2009 11:03 am

Jess is a gentlemans gentleman. Always responds to emails and very happy to share what he knows. I've been meaning to do a road trip down there and buy him lunch, maybe have him sign the back panel on one of my Geminis. Very cool guy! 8)
ImageImageImage

John Lennon/Jimi Hendrix/Jimmy Page Fan
Baron Von Machinenmann
Administrator of Mirth

Postby zephyrblau on Sun Apr 26, 2009 5:14 pm

couldn't agree more! I picked up an Oliver P-500 about a year ago. he was very helpful and patient with my questions. a true gent. :cheers: it seems that while he is no longer designing and building amps he is actively doing repairs and restorations.
zephyrblau
Peasant

Postby J.FILAMENTHEAD on Sun May 24, 2009 8:01 pm

JESS HAS BEEN VERY HELPFULL TO ME IN THE PAST WITH MY AMPEG AND OLIVER QUESTIONS/PROJECTS.
HE EVEN SENT ME A HARD COPY OF A SCHEMATIC I NEEDED AND INCLUDED A AUTOGRAPHED PICTURE OF HIMSELF WITH HIS COLECTION. :thumbsup:

A TRUE AMPMAN AND MUSICIAN, AND IMHO THE STANDARD OF A GENTLEMAN.
HE WAS ALWAYS HELPFUL WITH ME.

J.
IF IT DOESN'T GLOW IT DOESN'T GO. KEEP THE PEACE. J.
1975 V-9 = MOUNTAIN LEVELING TONE Image
J.FILAMENTHEAD
Certified

Return to Ampeg