Binson Echorec 2 has landed

Some like 'em and some don't, but I bet everyone has at least a couple — Analog Delay, Digital Delay, Reverb, Chorus, Flanger, Phaser, Tube Overdrive, Transistor Overdrive, Fuzz, Octave Fuzz, Tremolo, Vibrato, Compressor and the list goes on!

Binson Echorec 2 has landed

Postby Anchorman on Sun May 24, 2009 8:16 am

GKJKJKJGKJGKJGGGFD SSPFFFFTT BLLBLBLBLBLLBLBBLBBLL GGGG GG SPPPPFF SPFFFFTTT TTTT!!!!! :shock: :shock: :shock: :panic: :panic: :panic:
Just give me 10 sec to calm down. SPPPPFFFTTT BLBLBLB GGLGLGLGL :shock: :shock: :shock: :panic: :panic: :panic:

Okay okay, I'm calm now. I got a hold of this beauty and I could never had imagined how cool it would look in reality, I had just seen images before. It looks and smells really old. A retailers sticker in the inside of the chassis says 1977, so it's made then or before.

I've read Hiwatt Bob's long thread about his echorec, very interesting read. I hope to have less work getting my unit working though, but now that I've said that, who knows :ohno:

I had expected the wiring to be all messed up, but it looks okay. It doesn't look like it's changed though which is surprising. Actually, the entire unit looks untouched, except for a changed knob (by the way, one of the knobs is labeled 'Retards', wonder what it does :shock: ) and missing of the back side of the chassis and the cover for the top of the unit. I think I will at least try it before I change all the wiring. According to the seller it works mechanically and gives direct signal, but no echo signal.

Before I turn it on, I'm thinking of changing the electrolytic caps. In one of the pictures you can see a large Sprague cap, it looks alright but I'm not sure what could happen if its not. Might be hard to change it though, since it's below all other component. Maybe I can open up the top of the unit. I will also have to learn the intro to 'One of These Days' before powering up.

No wall cable was included, so I will have to fix this. I'd like to get it properly grounded with a modern cable, I'm just thinking about how to add a jack with as little altering to the unit as possible. If I'm lucky a new socket will fit where the old one is, then I'll just have to change the ground cable.
If not, maybe I'll try to create a back side to the chassis since the original's missing anyway, and then add the jack to it, this will require no altering of the original chassis. Another option is of course to drill a little hole, I don't think this would be to much of a deal.

To fix the echo, I'll start with changing the tubes (which looks to have very little use, Valvo tubes, codes look like Mullard) one at a time. If I haven't already then, I will change the electrolytics to see it that helps. After that I'll go over all connections and cables to see if something's wrong. I'll follow a schematic.

This is my project for the summer, hopefully it will turn out well.

Lot's of high-res pictures here in anyone's interested: http://pilman.ownit.nu/Binson%20Echorec%202/

Now that show and tell is over I have one little question only: Do you think I should I change the electrolytic caps before powering up the unit?

Any thoughts on my thoughts about this or about echorecs in general will be very much appreciated!

Cheers :cheers:

(Here you can see the Sprague cap)
Anchorman
Certified

Re: Binson Echorec 2 has landed

Postby Vortexion on Sun May 24, 2009 12:59 pm

I'm not surprised that you're excited, Anchorman. I'm having kittens just looking at the pictures - laaaaaaarvely! :drool:

FWIW, "Retards" is French for "Delays", so I'd guess that this control selects the number of echoes you get after the original sound. Just a guess, though.

I hope you don't have too much work to do on it, 'cos everything in there looks original to me, and too many component substitutions would really knock back its collector value.
Vortexion
Newt

Postby Anchorman on Sun May 24, 2009 1:54 pm

Vortexion wrote:I'm not surprised that you're excited, Anchorman. I'm having kittens just looking at the pictures - laaaaaaarvely! :drool:

FWIW, "Retards" is French for "Delays", so I'd guess that this control selects the number of echoes you get after the original sound. Just a guess, though.

I hope you don't have too much work to do on it, 'cos everything in there looks original to me, and too many component substitutions would really knock back its collector value.

Thanks for your input, good with a slight expansion of my french vocabulary :) I saw on 'English' units that the retards-knob is labeled 'switch', it's there to select different playhead combinations it seems.
Anchorman
Certified

Postby Baja Tech on Sun May 24, 2009 4:01 pm

Very nice indeed. Congrats!
BAJATECHCUSTOM.COM
Baja Tech
Peasant

Postby Anchorman on Sun May 24, 2009 6:14 pm

Baja Tech wrote:Very nice indeed. Congrats!

Thank you! For the price I paid, I expected it to be a lot worse.
Anchorman
Certified

Postby thebugman on Mon May 25, 2009 3:45 pm

http://cgi.ebay.ch/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie ... 0302752651

Nice! I saw it and almost bid on it, since the seller lives close. Good thing for you that I have no funds currently 8) I think I have a fitting mains plug like you would need, will look it up later. The seller sold another Echorec just a few days later, and claimed he could hear no echo, again. I have a suspicion he didn't hook up everything correctly.
thebugman
Knight

Postby Anchorman on Mon May 25, 2009 4:03 pm

thebugman wrote:http://cgi.ebay.ch/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130302752651

Nice! I saw it and almost bid on it, since the seller lives close. Good thing for you that I have no funds currently 8) I think I have a fitting mains plug like you would need, will look it up later. The seller sold another Echorec just a few days later, and claimed he could hear no echo, again. I have a suspicion he didn't hook up everything correctly.

Yes that's the one. The rack version he sold after mine (with the same problem) sold for 400CHF, which seems really cheap if it's easy to fix. Then of course tax and shipping if you're outside Switzerland like me.
If you have a fitting mains plug, I'd be more than happy to work some kind of deal, nice of you to mention it :thumbsup:

Thanks! :cheers:
Anchorman
Certified

Postby thebugman on Mon May 25, 2009 5:24 pm

This is what I have, looks like it could fit, but I'm not 100% sure.

In any case it is a grounded plug, the outer metal pieces touch the chassis for a ground connection, you would have to check with the Echorec to be sure. I'll send you the plug for free if you want it (no guarantee that it will fit though) PM me your address.
thebugman
Knight

Postby Anchorman on Mon May 25, 2009 9:24 pm

thebugman wrote:This is what I have, looks like it could fit, but I'm not 100% sure.

In any case it is a grounded plug, the outer metal pieces touch the chassis for a ground connection, you would have to check with the Echorec to be sure. I'll send you the plug for free if you want it (no guarantee that it will fit though) PM me your address.

Wow, how cool of you to offer me this! PM sent! Thanks!
Anchorman
Certified

Postby Britishampfan on Tue May 26, 2009 4:54 am

WoW ! that is a beauty! Congrats on the great find and thanks for posting the pictures. :cheers:
Britishampfan
Connoisseur of Crunch

Postby Anchorman on Tue May 26, 2009 9:53 am

Britishampfan wrote:WoW ! that is a beauty! Congrats on the great find and thanks for posting the pictures. :cheers:

Thank you! Once (if) I get it running, I might try to do a little video or audio demonstration as well (if I manage to learn some more early Floyd that is :))
Anchorman
Certified

Postby Britishampfan on Tue May 26, 2009 8:48 pm

You`ll get it running have faith. I would just get the cord, make sure everything is hooked up right turn it on and make sure everything glows.

Swap tubes first, If the cap is not leaking or bulged out it should be good.
Britishampfan
Connoisseur of Crunch

Postby Anchorman on Wed May 27, 2009 8:05 am

Britishampfan wrote:You`ll get it running have faith. I would just get the cord, make sure everything is hooked up right turn it on and make sure everything glows.

Swap tubes first, If the cap is not leaking or bulged out it should be good.

I think this is what I'll do, thanks! Now I just gotta find an appropriate net jack and I'm ready to go. Might take a week or so, I'm in no hurry and wanna do this right. I'll keep posting about the progress.

Cheers :cheers:
Anchorman
Certified

Postby Anchorman on Fri May 29, 2009 11:17 pm

Okay, I've added an IEC jack, and made a sturdy connection from ground to chassis. I put the entire jack on the inside of the hole, so I didn't have to drill or enlarge the hole, just unsolder two spots. There is some magic feeling with heating up solder that have been untouched for so long. I can post pics tomorrow. Might not be the final, ultimate solution, but it works and wasn't invasive at all. Considering the Hot and Neutral leads, I don't think it matters which goes where, since the old jack was symmetrical anyways.

Anywho, the front panel lights up (very sexy) and the motor runs nicely. I can get a clean, direct signal. However, as expected, no echo.

This is what happens:
If I connect to channel 1 in and out, I get no sound at all when channel 1 is selected, but I get dry signal when channel 2 or 3 is selected. If I connect to channel 2, I get no sound at all when channel 2 is selected, but I get dry signal when channel 1 or 3 is selected. Also, the input and echo volume pots doesn't seem to have any effect on the sound, no change in volume.

I have tried changing all the ECC83 tubes, but that didn't help. Next up, I'll take a real close look at all solder joints and the schematic to see if something's not right. I guess, since it works mechanically and I get dry signal, the error must be in the part of the circuit that takes care of the echo.

But first things first; sleep :shock: :sleepy:
Last edited by Anchorman on Mon Jun 01, 2009 6:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Anchorman
Certified

Postby Hiwatt Bob on Sat May 30, 2009 1:03 am

even though the wiring looks relatively ok, i'm guessing you have a wiring issue--could be numerous things.

even if the echo part of the circuit doesn't work--your clean signal should pass through--so i'm guessing there's something wrong with channel 1. but the fact that no echo is passing would suggest that there's probably something wrong with the wiring.

couple things that concern me--the rubber jockey wheel looks like it's in pretty rough shape. if that is no longer perfectly round, you'll get some serious warble issues (pitch going in and out of tune). there is a guy that can make new ones though--but hopefully it just looks worse than it is.

it would be good to get a better picture of the jockey wheel and disc surface.

hate to be messenger--i got mine working and helped my friend get his going--so i'm pretty sure we can get it sorted out, but it might not be quite as easy as you hoped. never fear though--once you get it working, it WILL be worth it.
http://www.myspace.com/rygiboges

'72 Hiwatt DR504
'79 Hiwatt FL112
'76 Fender Deluxe Reverb
Zvex Nano
Hiwatt Bob
Baron

Next

Return to Effects and the Signal Chain