New Host, Founding Father of Marshall!!!!

Hosted by Marshall Founding Father G3SDW. Discuss JTM45, JTM50, JTM100, Bluesbreaker, Super Lead, Super Bass, 200W, 100W, 50W, 20W, Plexi Panels, Metal Panels, 4x12 straight, 4x12 slant, Pinstripe, Basketweave, Checkerboard, Park, Kitchen-Marshall and Narb

New Host, Founding Father of Marshall!!!!

Postby plexi on Sat Aug 29, 2009 7:47 pm

We are very lucky to have a great chap by the name of Ken Underwood who is now offing his memories to us about the beginnings of Marshall. He was one of the three founding fathers of the great MArshall JTM45. The three were:
Dudley Craven
Ken Underwood
Ken Bran

He is a host contributor. We ask that you treat him with respect and please do not hound him with questions. If you have a question please first try the search function. That is considered good Forum edict. If you do not find the answer then you can post your question to the appropriate forum. I would ask you please not to overwhelm our guest host with PM's and emails. We don't want to run him off now.
plexi
Site Admin

Re: New Host, Founding Father of Marshall!!!!

Postby Bleuz me on Sat Aug 29, 2009 8:48 pm

Well... this is indeed an honor. The perfect place for any contributions he would like to make. I'd like to think this is the Premier forum drawing the most knowledgeable providing information for the continued use and restoration of older Marshalls. We may not do much for the promotion of new sales... but if you're going to by new... Buy Mojave !!
Bleuz me
Baron

Postby 2 guest(s) on Sat Aug 29, 2009 9:12 pm

Welcome, Ken!!! :D
mr.danny wrote:+1 We're all going the way of speaker cones anyway :cheers:
2 guest(s)
Squire

Postby plexi on Sat Aug 29, 2009 9:24 pm

I still get a kick out of that Godzilla reading the mag on the pot. Funny.
plexi
Site Admin

Postby pckpat on Sun Aug 30, 2009 12:23 am

that's great vic- nothing like getting it straight from the horse's mouth,so to speak.i'm sure ken will be able to clear up a lot of the mysteries surrounding early marshalls(unless maybe he feels that a little mystery is a good thing :D) when i read this news,it started me to wondering,whatever happened to dunx b,the former celestion engineer? he had a lot of good insights into celestion,and speaker technology in general.i hope we didn't hound him off :? -(btw,i knew a guy in public school named ken underwood-he was our drummer 8))
"Who does not work,is heavy to the earth" (Albanian proverb)
"Vision without action,is a dream-Action without vision is a nightmare"-(Japanese saying)
pckpat
Emperor

Postby Britishampfan on Sun Aug 30, 2009 1:09 am

So very cool, Welcome!
Britishampfan
Connoisseur of Crunch

Postby unclebobo on Sun Aug 30, 2009 2:31 am

Victor!

This is tremendous news!

We await....
How many is too many?
unclebobo
Baron

Postby G3SDW on Mon Aug 31, 2009 2:38 pm

Pleased to be here guy`s any thing that i can do please shout and by the way no one will hound me ha ha that`s a promise.

Ken
G3SDW
Marshall Founding Father

Postby BIG Dave on Mon Aug 31, 2009 2:56 pm

Welcome Ken! Great to have you here! :cheers:
BIG Dave
Knight

Postby 908ssp on Mon Aug 31, 2009 3:26 pm

Thanks Ken for taking the time to share your memories. I am looking forward to hearing from someone who was there. :cheers: :thumbsup:
Alex
908ssp
Prince

Postby Hamilton on Mon Aug 31, 2009 4:34 pm

Hey Ken, welcome!

In the beginning, who was it at Marshall that had the "golden ear" and discovered that these amps sounded really good with a twist of the volume knob? Was it you guys, or was it the guys in the bands?

Thanks,
Hamilton
"And may you never hear...surf music...again."
Hamilton
Knight

Postby Peteyvee on Mon Aug 31, 2009 4:47 pm

Wow, this is indeed an honor! Welcome aboard Ken and thank you for your time.
"The problem with kids today is that their hair's too short and their music isn't loud enough." -Peteyvee
"It's not the notes you play, it's the notes you don't play." -Miles Davis
Peteyvee
Keeper of the Shrub

Postby G3SDW on Mon Aug 31, 2009 5:16 pm

In answer to Hamilton`s question, well it does say that it was JM that decided on the sound that we all love then and today but the only person who has said that is JM. All the reports that have been written refer to his words and no one to this day who was there has said anything until now.

IMOA it was a combination of Ken Bran and Dudley Craven with feed back from the guy`s ( a session band) that tried them at the Ealing club on a Sunday night.

I get so annoyed at all the write ups that have gone before by people that were not there and just take hear say for there words.

As you can gather it has taken 46 years to tell all this but i am glad that i have found you guys who i know will appreciate the true story.

Regards

Ken
G3SDW
Marshall Founding Father

Postby API on Mon Aug 31, 2009 6:37 pm

Wow, this is great.
Welcome here Ken!!

API
1966 JTM45/100, 1967 "1959" Super Lead, 1967 "1961" JMP 4x10" Mk I Bluesbreaker, 1967 "1962" JMP 2x12" Mk I Bluesbreaker, 1967 "1973" Master Reverb 18w combo, 1963 AC30, 1964 AC15 Twin, 1963 Watkins Dominator, 1965 Princetone Reverb, 1957 Gibson GA-40 Les Paul, 1962 Gibson GA-40 LP, 1962 Epiphone Pathfinder
API
Page

Postby Derrick on Mon Aug 31, 2009 6:48 pm

G3SDW wrote:I get so annoyed at all the write ups that have gone before by people that were not there and just take hear say for there words.

This is the number one thing that has bugged me about this sort of history. Thanks God you're here to set many things strait and share your knowledge. Welcome Ken!

My question is, did you guys realize the Marshall sound right from the start or was it pretty much a tweed Bassman feel until after the switch to KT-66s and Celestions? Basically at what point was the "Marshall sound" evident to you guys and did it feel more like a Bassman in the very beginning?

Cheers
KEEP THOSE THINGS ORIGINAL, BOYS!
Derrick
Baron

Next

Return to Marshall