New Host, Founding Father of Marshall!!!!

Hosted by Marshall Founding Father G3SDW. Discuss JTM45, JTM50, JTM100, Bluesbreaker, Super Lead, Super Bass, 200W, 100W, 50W, 20W, Plexi Panels, Metal Panels, 4x12 straight, 4x12 slant, Pinstripe, Basketweave, Checkerboard, Park, Kitchen-Marshall and Narb

Re: New Host, Founding Father of Marshall!!!!

Postby Strat59 on Tue Sep 15, 2009 11:38 am

I think it was that the Beatles or Brian Epstien were approached and given Vox gear.
I saw an interview with George where he expressed a dislike for the Vox sound .
When there were able to get hold of Fender amps that was the preferred sound.
"Blues players don't mess around with a guitar, they hit the bloody thing"........ Rory Gallagher
Strat59
Baron

Postby G3SDW on Tue Sep 15, 2009 11:51 am

Hi mate and what a set of questions which can be answered quite easily. One storey before the Who where named as such and called the High Numbers was one night in the local Wimpey bar and after there local gig at the Ealing Town Hall they came in to unwind and when that happened all hell broke loose.The main instigator was always Keith Moon as he always was the clown.They ordered Flap Jacks with Maple Syrup and fresh cream,so you say what`s wrong with that, well that`s OK if they were going to eat it but no within a very short time a food fight broke out and most people were under the tables as Flap Jacks, Maple Syrup and fresh cream was flying every were, this tended to happen a weekly basis.

As for the shop i was not involved there at all as this was after my time with Marshall, JM only gave his name to these amps after all the graft and design work had been done as he knew that he was onto a good thing before this he only sold them in his shop on a commission basis.

I was into all that was going on at the time music wise that is so that`s a yes to that question.

The Beatles question is quite simple, all the Vox equipment was donated to them for advertising but JM never gave anything away as he knew that these amp`s were a good product and if you wanted to use them you paid the price.

One last storey that you may have heard before is the reason that Jimmy Hendrix was first drawn to Marshall, it was that his middle name was Marshall.

Hope you find this of interest.

Regards

Ken
G3SDW
Marshall Founding Father

Postby bmi on Tue Sep 15, 2009 6:22 pm

Nice story...put a big smile on my face :lol:

I have another question that comes into my mind ken.
Have you ever used mustard caps in your build or sometimes perhaps for the first prototypes PIO caps? (or perhaps you have used something else)
bmi
Peasant

Postby G3SDW on Tue Sep 15, 2009 7:30 pm

We used the original Mullard mustard cap`s (With round ends not flat ends) in those days, do not forget that there were not the variety of components that there are these days but considering what was available then we did not do to bad.

Another piece of info that i found out today is that the first guy to put vocals through a Marshall was a guy called Jimmy Royal. He was a local guy with a backing band called The Hawkes and i have located him today as living in Australia and it seems that he owns a taxi company, just a bit of useless info`

Ken
G3SDW
Marshall Founding Father

Postby bmi on Tue Sep 15, 2009 7:49 pm

Thanks ken, i never make any difference between mustard caps...now i will. :)
bmi
Peasant

Postby bolero on Wed Sep 16, 2009 4:48 am

ha, great stuff Ken, thanks for the anectdotes!!

all long before my time; I love hearing stories about that early time period, the music explosion that happened in a few short years is staggering...and we're still recycling/tapping into the ideas that were pioneered back then

I assume that before Mr Clapton plugged his Les Paul into a production Marshall combo & cranked it open, it wasn't a popular choice of gtr in England...so most of the guitars used during your development/tests were probably Fenders? and played fairly clean? did they ever crank the prototypes wide open, in the back room, to hear how they sounded?

cheers
bolero
Squire

Postby G3SDW on Wed Sep 16, 2009 6:43 am

Yup many times, we went through quite a few 6L6G`s and 5Z4`s but at that time that was what it was all about, great days, talking to you guys for me is like going in a 46 years circle LOL

Ken
G3SDW
Marshall Founding Father

Postby bmi on Wed Sep 16, 2009 10:43 am

Hi ken, sorry for all the questions that come into my mind but this is probably the only chance i've got to get a trusty answer.(not sure about my english...)
Marshall claims with their 300 JTM45 offset reissue that only 3 were build..and the first ones of this great history.
Do you agree ken ?

bmi
bmi
Peasant

Postby G3SDW on Wed Sep 16, 2009 2:08 pm

Your English is a 1000 times better that better than my French so you do not have a problem, as far as the other question then i think that there were 6,hope that clears up that little matter.

Ken
G3SDW
Marshall Founding Father

Postby drewl on Wed Sep 16, 2009 3:12 pm

bolero wrote:
also I find it interesting that the Beatles never used any Marshall gear

cheers

Well if Decca had signed the Fabs instead of Brian Poole and the Tremolos, it may have been the Beatles with those gorgeous white halfstacks....imagine how much MORE popular Marshall would have been!
drewl
Prince

Postby G3SDW on Wed Sep 16, 2009 3:32 pm

Yes right but what is wrong with Brian Poole? great guy and a great band, he lived local to me at the time.

Ken
G3SDW
Marshall Founding Father

Postby drewl on Wed Sep 16, 2009 5:04 pm

You'd have to tell us what, if anything was wrong with them :D
Who knows why they didn't gain the level of success some of their contemporaries achieved. I wasn't born yet, so I couldn't buy their records!
drewl
Prince

Postby G3SDW on Wed Sep 16, 2009 5:27 pm

They were a great band and had good chart success over here in the UK they eventually broke up and the Tremolos carried on and again had many hit singles. Brian Poole went back to his old trade as a butcher in his farther`s shop,now he is back in the road touring again and doing well.

Ken
G3SDW
Marshall Founding Father

Postby zaphod_phil on Fri Sep 18, 2009 5:15 pm

Ken, I would be interested to know what importance, if any, was placed on using matched power valves during your early days with Marshall.

G3SDW wrote:As for the shop i was not involved there at all as this was after my time with Marshall, JM only gave his name to these amps after all the graft and design work had been done as he knew that he was onto a good thing before this he only sold them in his shop on a commission basis.

That's something I hadn't realised. So although the amplifiers had Marshall name badges on them, they were actually "Bran, Craven and Underwood" amps, and you three guys weren't Jim Marshall's employees at that point... :shock:

G3SDW wrote:One last storey that you may have heard before is the reason that Jimmy Hendrix was first drawn to Marshall, it was that his middle name was Marshall.

Yes, I heard that too. And of course both Hendrix and JM shared the same first name too. I also read that it was Hendrix's drummer Mitch Mitchell, who introduced him to Jim Marshall, since JM had been his drum teacher.

G3SDW wrote:...after there local gig at the Ealing Town Hall ...

A place I know well, and have been to a few small local gigs there... :) One thing I really liked when living in Ealing was how the place was steeped in rock history (as well as film and TV).

bmi wrote:Using the skin effect was a wrong choice for me to express what i wanted to say. Just want to say that when you have 4 conductors it acts as 4 signals IMO.It's easy to check in a guitar. Use multiple wires cable inside then in the cable that goes from the switch to the jack, cut and decrease the number of wires. You will notice that first the signal become less strong and in the same time it becomes less brigth as if many wires add brightness. You just have many signals that's were come the brightness. I use for my cabs a 1 bar wire cable and the saturations are more accurate and a bar 0,4 mm cooper gold plated in my gibson.

Electrically a multistrand wire is exactly the same as a single strand wire of the same thickness. You will only hear a benefit with multi-strand wire if the strands are insulated from each other, so that each conducts separately from its neighbor, and even then this would only be at frequencies the skin effect starts to become significant at - ie above 10kHz. The test you describe would be interesting to carry out under blind conditions to really verify if the difference can be heard.
Great tones come in small glass jars
zaphod_phil
Squire

Postby bmi on Fri Sep 18, 2009 5:37 pm

The skin effect here talk about the way the current goes in a conductor. When you have 4 wires you have 4 cores and 4 skins even if they are not insulated and if there is probably interaction between us (perhaps the cause of the phenomen) you can be sure that they act as 4 wires (with interaction) and not as one because if you look close there is with no doubt space between them at the atomic scale.
First time i notice it i was replacing a multiwire free oxygen cable with a 2mm cooper cable and i notice more detailed saturations. The 2 cables was about the same diameter.(i've used SN/AG solder for both)
bmi
Peasant

PreviousNext

Return to Marshall