New Host, Founding Father of Marshall!!!!

Hosted by Marshall Founding Father G3SDW. Discuss JTM45, JTM50, JTM100, Bluesbreaker, Super Lead, Super Bass, 200W, 100W, 50W, 20W, Plexi Panels, Metal Panels, 4x12 straight, 4x12 slant, Pinstripe, Basketweave, Checkerboard, Park, Kitchen-Marshall and Narb

Re: New Host, Founding Father of Marshall!!!!

Postby G3SDW on Fri Sep 18, 2009 6:38 pm

Well in the beginning lol we did not match tubes could not afford the test gear but it became obvious that this had to be done to get thing as they should be.

Originally They were called Craven & Findlay, the Findlay came from a guy that gave Dudley a lot of ideas and help but did not want to get involved (Dick Findlay). So when JM got the other two guys to work for him the name Marshall was used he knew he was onto a good thing and now takes all the praise for these amps.So no we just produced them to be sold in his shop and put the money back in to make more so we just worked for ourselves and it is not sour grapes to say that to this day i did not get a bean out of it at all.

Yes of course Ealing has lots of history with show biz going back a very long way to the famous Ealing Studios , as i said once before Cleo Lane was the singer in a band that JM used to play with in the late `50s in a small pub in back street in Southall. There was Cliff Bennett and the Rebel Rousers, James Royal and the Hawkes, Brian Poole and the Tremolos and many more and of course Mitch Mitchell who was the drummer when the first Marshall or what ever you want to call it then was used as was James Royal the singer on the first performance.

As for the wire like a lot of things then yes in theory it is right but blind testing is the only way, some will and some will not you take yer choice as the human ear is not perfect.

Regards

Ken
G3SDW
Marshall Founding Father

Postby Britishampfan on Sat Sep 19, 2009 11:50 pm

G3SDW wrote:In the early days there was not connection with any other engineers. The sound that we all love was totally down to Audibly Ken Bran and Technically Dudley Craven.

JM would not collaborate with any one else except his bank balance lol.

Ken

I`ve been out of town, Thanks for the reply and you have a great sense of humor too. :D
Britishampfan
Connoisseur of Crunch

Postby valvewhiz1 on Mon Sep 21, 2009 3:17 pm

Hi Ken,

G3SDW eh!

Still active?
Check Out my Meazzi website at

http://www.meazzi.org.uk
valvewhiz1
Page

Postby G3SDW on Mon Sep 21, 2009 4:53 pm

Yes as we speak just going to call KZ1H in Boston on 14.041 why do you ask ??

Ken
G3SDW
Marshall Founding Father

Postby cockstah on Fri Sep 25, 2009 1:38 am

Do you have all tube gear for your HAM radio stuff :)

Jose
:jam:
1x 1967 100W Plexi kit
4x Sylvania 6CA7 tubes, green writting...
1x MXR Distortion + script logo
1x EC-80A Echo Unit
1x NOS case of Alberto VO5 shampoo, circa 1974, blue bottle...Supposedly Ed used this stuff..
1x Ohmite Variac
1x 4x12 cab with 25W greenback re-issues
1x bomb shell rack for my effects
16x NOS cases of Shlitz malt beer..
1x San Dimas Charvel parts guitar
6x NOS 70's Painter's overalls
cockstah
Peasant

Postby G3SDW on Fri Sep 25, 2009 12:03 pm

Have used tube equipment all my life. At the moment at least hybrid, tube driver and output and all Kenwood and just like Marshall great audio quality.

Ken
G3SDW
Marshall Founding Father

Postby Vortexion on Fri Sep 25, 2009 2:18 pm

Hi Ken - a real honour to have you among us. Sounds like you'd have got on with my dad (G3CK) who built all his ham radio gear and was responsible for my own love affair with all things valvey.

73s from another Ken :wink:
Vortexion
Newt

Postby G3SDW on Fri Sep 25, 2009 2:49 pm

In those days you had to build or modify military equipment and of course there was only tubes but that was not such a bad thing and yes that call sign is a very early one and one of the pioneers of radio as we know it today. I always take my hat off to those guys, where was he located out of interest?

Ken
G3SDW
Marshall Founding Father

Postby Vortexion on Fri Sep 25, 2009 5:00 pm

G3SDW wrote:...where was he located out of interest?

Thanks for asking, Ken. A quick resumé of my dad:

Name: Ron Cumberlidge.
Born in Middleton, Lancs 1916.
Got his first amateur licence as a teenager in the 1930s.
Served in the signal corps during WWII - initially in Africa, then in Italy, where he helped run the relay stations at Caserta and Carditello and worked closely alongside the American signals guys. You might find THIS WEBPAGE interesting: it contains quite a few of the photos he took while he was there (and which he managed to smuggle home, past the military censors! :mrgreen: )

Post-war, he lived in Liverpool and then on the Wirral.

We still have his National NC100 SW receiver. I didn't follow in his footsteps in becoming a ham, but my brother Steve did. He's G7BBF, a member of WADARC - Wirral and District Amateur Radio Club.
Vortexion
Newt

Postby G3SDW on Fri Sep 25, 2009 6:48 pm

Well Ken that is fantastic great that you have kept the NC100 good piece of kit.

Checked the web site and wow what some great pic`s of the equipment brought back some memories. Also checked G7BBF and he seems to be very active at his local radio club.

So seems that there is a great big link between Marshall and ham radio.

Ken
G3SDW
Marshall Founding Father

Postby Vortexion on Fri Sep 25, 2009 9:44 pm

G3SDW wrote:So seems that there is a great big link between Marshall and ham radio.

Yes - you! :mrgreen:
Vortexion
Newt

Postby G3SDW on Sat Sep 26, 2009 7:11 am

Yes i know what you mean but there are quite a lot of other radio hams on here as well that have answered my posts.
G3SDW
Marshall Founding Father

Postby Homer on Thu Oct 01, 2009 9:21 am

Hi Ken,

I have a question for you: What was the usual method to create the cut-outs for the RS output transformers regarding the early amps?

This question may sound strange but I never found reliable information about what the prefered method was back then and why looking at a lot of pictures of those early JTM45 chassis you see so many different approaches to the problem. I am always puzzled about the fact that sometimes it looks like those were sawed out after drilling the four corners, another time it looks like a sheet shear has been used as you can see from the sharp edges and rectangular shapes in the corner areas etc.

Did you really use all this different methods back then or was there one prefered method?
I recall that these amps were all made on order so for me it looks like the chassis were produced with no cut-out in that specific area and based on the order and the OPT chosen the chassis was manually cut, right? I mean this would totally make sense regarding the Gold Block Logo period as some amps have RS OPTs and other already the Drakes. But what about the early days when there where mostly only RS?
BTW who was the person in the shop to do this kind of work?

Thanks
Homer S.
Homer
Court Jester

Postby G3SDW on Thu Oct 01, 2009 11:06 am

Hi Homer the first chassis were made and cut by a small engineering company who`s name escapes me and all the hardware was from RS.

I do recall though that the cut outs had something to be desired,as for who made them in the shop after i left well i just do not know.

Regards

Ken
G3SDW
Marshall Founding Father

Postby Homer on Thu Oct 01, 2009 12:41 pm

Thanks for your instant reply, Ken.

I think I need to reformulate my initial question to get to the bottom of it, if you allow.
Were the chassis delivered already with those cut outs for the RS OPT to the shop by the time you were part of the team? If not somebody must have done that manually so do you recall who was actually doing the job? I mean the chassis are oviously industrially manufactured parts while these cut outs often look like ....cough....well, an apprentice having his first lessons in how to use a pair of snips, if I may say so :)
Hope I don't insult anybody of the founding fathers :lol:

It would be great if you could shed some light on this as these details make the difference sometimes...

Regards
Homer J.S.
Homer
Court Jester

PreviousNext

Return to Marshall