New Host, Founding Father of Marshall!!!!

Hosted by Marshall Founding Father G3SDW. Discuss JTM45, JTM50, JTM100, Bluesbreaker, Super Lead, Super Bass, 200W, 100W, 50W, 20W, Plexi Panels, Metal Panels, 4x12 straight, 4x12 slant, Pinstripe, Basketweave, Checkerboard, Park, Kitchen-Marshall and Narb

Re: New Host, Founding Father of Marshall!!!!

Postby G3SDW on Thu Oct 01, 2009 1:20 pm

You will have to read how Marshall was first started and the part that i played in it from day 1.

As i said the chassis were made for us and all the cut outs were there when all the RS transformers and choke were mounted along with valve bases and HV capacitor etc.

I would think that if you have one with extra cut outs that are a bit amateurish then this unit must have been made after i decided to not carry on with making them but to truly understand what i am saying then you must read the the true story not what has been written after `63/64.

I can qualify all this as i was the guy that put all the mechanical parts on the chassis.

I hope that now you can understand what you have which i think you will find is not one of the original batch of these great amp`s.

Regards

Ken
G3SDW
Marshall Founding Father

Postby Homer on Fri Oct 02, 2009 12:05 am

Thanks Ken,

[quote]I would think that if you have one with extra cut outs that are a bit amateurish then this unit must have been made after i decided to not carry on with making them but to truly understand what i am saying then you must read the the true story not what has been written after `63/64.[/quote]

of course I would like to hear the true story and details like the rest of the folks here on the forum. Unfortunately only few of us ever had the chance before to talk to somebody like you that who has been around in the early days. It is a great opportunity for all of us to listen and learn. So please don't mind if a fellow like me is asking you that kind of questions. :oops:

Actually I think this may also be a misunderstanding if I read your last response: I was not refering to some extra cut outs it was all about the "standard" one for the RS OPT. Just to show you what I mean I have attached some photos. The first two pics each show a coffin logo amp chassis while the last one is supposed to be an offset amp. As you can see each cut out has a different shape.
Just wanted to make sure that it is understood why I asked the question.

Thanks anyway, Ken.
Enjoy your stay in Hotel Plexipalace, Sir!
Attachments
c2.jpeg
c2.jpeg (58.07 KiB) Viewed 1595 times
c1.jpeg
c1.jpeg (67.7 KiB) Viewed 1596 times
o1.jpeg
o1.jpeg (82.19 KiB) Viewed 1598 times
Homer
Court Jester

Postby G3SDW on Fri Oct 02, 2009 2:06 pm

Hi and thanks for the pictures. I know what you are saying about the cut outs and what i meant is that for some reason they were enlarged at some point why that would be i do not know.

Not knowing when this amp was manufactured i cannot say but they look like they used the old method of drilling all four corners then cutting out the four sides.
From what i can remember and as i have before i am going back 46 years the wholes were punched out to size but don`t quote me on that.

The true storey starts on this thread on page 3 so have a read there are i am sure many facts to interest you any thing that i have not covered then shout.

As for my stay in Hotel Plexipalace well does that mean i am going some were?/LOL

Ken
G3SDW
Marshall Founding Father

Postby Homer on Sun Oct 04, 2009 8:24 pm

Hi Ken,
we all would like you to stay with us of course :D
Regarding the amps and the pics: two of them are supposed to be original coffin logo amps (63-64) while the other one is supposed to be an original Offset amp.
May I ask you something about the RS OPT? There is a guy selling RS transformer clones and he claims that only the RS ones with the glued label were actually used in the early JTM45 production runs not the black bottom ones. Is this true and can you confirm that? It would actually mean that most of the amps you see on the internet using the black bottom RS are either had their glued label RS replaced at some point or they are fake. Can you comment on this as you have been the guy to assemble those, especially regarding the fact that Marshall more or less ceased the RS OPT by early 1965...
Please see pic below. It really looks like those are two completely different types!
Attachments
rs.gif
Homer
Court Jester

Postby G3SDW on Sun Oct 04, 2009 9:45 pm

Yes the correct RS OPT is the one with the paper label and also a give away is that the original has a very loose and open insulation and was very heavy with varnish. This you can see around the pins and the other one`s pins are clean.

We bought RS components from day 1 but i am sure that when JM got involved he looked at prices to increase profit, we were very green and only looking for a couple of extra of shilling`s, now look at what it is today who would of thought it.

I think it would be rather impossible to replace the bottom of the OPT as i do not think that there were no markings on it, the RS logo looks ok but that can be copied quite easy.

Just looking again at the picture`s the left one is so dry and you can see the right one is dripping with varnish,for me it`s a give away.

Regards.

Ken
G3SDW
Marshall Founding Father

Postby Homer on Sun Oct 04, 2009 11:06 pm

Thanks Ken,
its good to know that the paper label OPT is the correct one and to have your confirmation here.
Actually the bottom of that one seems to be more brownish, isnt it?

Just to make sure that I got you right on this: You think that the RS Deluxe OPT to the left is rubbish regarding quality?
Thanks a lot.

Homer
Homer
Court Jester

Postby G3SDW on Mon Oct 05, 2009 7:19 am

I think that you only have to look at it and it speak`s for it self,glad that you found my comments of some help.

Ken
G3SDW
Marshall Founding Father

Postby Homer on Mon Oct 05, 2009 8:07 am

It really helped me a lot indeed! Great to have you here...
Once again thanks a lot, Ken.
Cheers
Homer
Homer
Court Jester

Postby Clanger on Mon Oct 05, 2009 9:42 am

Just to chime in here, I can confirm that the early ones are the ones with the labels. I have amps going back as far as '63 with the labels.

However that is not to say that the others as fakes. The RS OPT was listed by RS right into the 70's, so the transformers themselves are likely genuine RS items. Also if you are a trainspotter like me you will notice that the boxes they came in had different artwork over the years. I have a 70's boxed one with different graphics to what you would see in the 60's.

Of course, and as homer (whoever you are?) alludes, there is the issue of later RS's, without labels, on early 60's amps... and I'll say no more.
"Please feel free to copy this information and use it to make friends and influence people at your favourite social gathering" - Doyle
Clanger
Knight

Postby Homer on Mon Oct 05, 2009 11:53 am

>>>Of course, and as homer (whoever you are?)<<<

Hi Clanger,
you shouldn't have asked for it - but that picture pretty much tells it all.
Replace "Sleep" against "Marshall JTM45" and you got it!

Hmmm....looking at my brain I must admit that it would make sense to make room for something else instead of "Sex"
as I haven't got plenty of it lately - :D Any proposals?

:D
Cheers
Attachments
homer.JPG
Homer
Court Jester

Postby Clanger on Mon Oct 05, 2009 12:31 pm

Homer wrote:>>>Of course, and as homer (whoever you are?)<<<

Hi Clanger,
you shouldn't have asked for it - but that picture pretty much tells it all.
Replace "Sleep" against "Marshall JTM45" and you got it!

Hmmm....looking at my brain I must admit that it would make sense to make room for something else instead of "Sex"
as I haven't got plenty of it lately - :D Any proposals?

:D
Cheers

Ha, like it, I think I also have a permanent area for '45s too. Don't ask me what to replace 'sex' with, in my case the wife replaced it with "feed the baby and change its pants".
"Please feel free to copy this information and use it to make friends and influence people at your favourite social gathering" - Doyle
Clanger
Knight

Postby drewl on Tue Oct 13, 2009 8:01 pm

If you haven't guessed by now, people are..ahem...quite "enthusiastic" about their amps.
Especially Marshalls. Old sweet smelling, flame throwing Marshalls.
drewl
Prince

Postby Dick Dackray on Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:15 pm

I have a 1978 Marshall 100 watt Lead Master Volume 2-12 combo amp that I purchased new. It has the original red (burgandy) speakers in it that say on the back CUSTOM MADE FOR MARSHALL. The amp is in as new condition and is all original.

Ken, can you tell me what make of speakers these are? Someone told me some time back that they might be Goodmans. I can not find any information on this at all. Sure would like to know if they are any good or if I would be better off to put a couple of Celestions in.

Regards
Dick Dackray
Peasant

Postby cubo on Thu Oct 15, 2009 1:42 pm

Hi Ken. It's a big pleasure to have you here :)

My question will be more HAM-radio like...
What exact type of Kenwoods do you use? What's your most favourite band, I mean shortwave, or UHF? I'm asking because my father is also a HAM radio enthusiastic, also uses Kenwood. He is curious about the HAM gear of your choice :D Also, what antennas do you have?
Thanks

Kubo
phat tone
cubo
Peasant

Postby G3SDW on Thu Oct 15, 2009 1:56 pm

First reply to Dick with respect you will need to see my history on Marshall as you say 1978, no idea as also you do not give a picture so sorry i would have liked to help you but my crystal ball is out of action lol.

Now to Cubo i run a TS530 for HF and also a TS480sat as well, for VHF i run a TR751e, and by far HF is my favourite and CW is the mode i use about 75% of the time. Nearly forgot the main HF antenna is a full wave Horizontal loop for 3.5Mhz via a 4:1 balun enabling me via a tuner to use it on all HF bands,on VHF i use a colinear.

Thanks for asking.

Ken
G3SDW
Marshall Founding Father

PreviousNext

Return to Marshall