Cerrem mod as told by Eddie.

Hosted by Marshall Founding Father G3SDW. Discuss JTM45, JTM50, JTM100, Bluesbreaker, Super Lead, Super Bass, 200W, 100W, 50W, 20W, Plexi Panels, Metal Panels, 4x12 straight, 4x12 slant, Pinstripe, Basketweave, Checkerboard, Park, Kitchen-Marshall and Narb

Re: Cerrem mod as told by Eddie.

Postby beaulieu on Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:14 am

DaisyChaining 2 heads together is not reamping. I thought I saw this a few post back.Reamping is after the first amp.not out the front of it. FWIW Mark
Mark
69 "Real"Plexi 1992
73 1987
68 1987/86 build NOS parts
12000 series build NOS parts
2554 (Black)Jubilee
7 4x12 cabs left LOL
71LesPaul deluxe
2 Charvels
2 GSXR 1000's
2 PitBUlls (pets)
MXR pedals
NOS Amp parts(Marshall)
beaulieu
Squire

Postby Sonicboom on Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:33 am

Interesting topic. I watched an old Rainbow DVD the other night from the Dio years. It got me thinkin'. Funny how similar early VH sounded to Richie; Ritchie's whammy technique and some of his licks also showed up in early VH. Thinking that it was just coincidence given the date of the two bands, I pulled out some classic Deep Purple and noticed the same thing on even earlier Blackmore stuff.

Seems EVH stole stuff from a lot of folks - so do I for that matter. :lol:
Turn on, plug in, crank up and rock out!!

'79 LP Custom
'01 LP Dickey Betts Goldie - 80 of 114
'00 Chandler Lectraslide
'00 Marshall 1987x
'70 Marshall 1959 SL
1960A - G12T-75s & G12M-25 Blackbacks
JCM800 1960B - JBL D120s
'64 Vibroverb - JBL D130
'66 Super Reverb - CTS Alnicos
'77 Peavey Deuce (great for melting stubborn ear wax)
Sonicboom
Page

Postby outtahear on Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:08 pm

ampdude wrote:Straight from the horses mouth.

Don't know if I'd call him a horses mouth...

:P
ONE NATION, UNDERGROUND
outtahear
Page

Postby cedarchoper58 on Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:48 pm

Sonicboom wrote:Seems EVH stole stuff from a lot of folks - so do I for that matter. :lol:

Me to along with every one. Hendrix even did. Nothing wrong with it if you use it in your own way :D
cedarchoper58
none

Location: Where the blues rains down heavy and rock rolls hard

Postby Rich_D on Tue Aug 24, 2010 7:03 pm

Bump for more action. Hope someone is listening. Slightly off topic, but it's a broad thread at this point.
I'd like a thread discussing the evolution of VH's recording sound, specifically wtf happened on Women and Children First, and imho Fair Warning's guitar tone/recording scorches everything else. Can we discuss or can someone direct me to where I can find the discussion?
Rich_D
Peasant

Postby Psycho Bass Guy on Tue Aug 24, 2010 11:07 pm

Fat bottle 6CA7's do wonders for old school EVH tone. Sovtek and Ei made good ones, in addition to old GE and Sylvania/Philips . I don't know how well the Chinese EL34B that Lord Valve really likes would cop it. The whole "amp mod" and "variac" bit is just BS that Eddie spread. If you have a "super-strat" with a bridge humbucker and the MXR pedal, if you can't get his early tone with a 6CA7 equipped Marshall, it ain't the fault of the rig. If want the whole enchilada, the Fender 5150 amp sounds amazing, like the early GOOD Peavey 5150's. I heard a local player (who has a Diezel endorsement) playing through the one he BOUGHT retail and he hit every single one of EVH's signature tones with just the amp and his guitar.

FWIW, I think guitar players in general are too obsessed with chasing the tones of others. I"ll never understand the Jimmy Page thing at all. Outside of the studio, he's horrendously sloppy with pretty bad tone. I've got "It MIght Get Loud," and both Jack White and the Edge give a display of utter professionalism with the appropriate amount of bravado, while Jimmy just sounds bad (and NOT in a good way). I've been around long enough to see that good tone won't make up for bad playing, and solid rhythm and taste will get you a hell of lot farther than sounding like another famous guitarist.
Psycho Bass Guy
Court Jester

Previous

Return to Marshall