Recording on computer

Recording systems, Software, Microphones, plugins, computers that work, the best ways to capture the sound. A good place to start figuring out that sound is here.

Recording on computer

Postby joshwilson3 on Tue Sep 07, 2010 10:20 am

I was looking at doing some recordings on my computer with my guitar. For the time being, I was looking at miking my Vox Valvetronix amp. I'd probably use an SM57 mic.

I was looking for a package that included something that I can connect my mic or guitar up to, then connect that to the computer, and also record and edit. I don't need a big dollar setup, just something to record some guitar on. Wouldn't mind something that also had some amp, cab, and effects sims. I've got Windows 7.

This is the amp I've got and his recording sounds pretty good. I think he used an SM57 mic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGNx9O0d_Sg
joshwilson3
Page

Re: Recording on computer

Postby wolfhead on Mon Sep 13, 2010 7:03 pm

For what you are talking about I'd check this out: http://line6.com/podstudioux2/ :thumbsup:
wolfhead
Squire

Postby demonufo on Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:56 pm

Yeah. I have to agree that you'll most likely get much better results using modelling that mic'ing up a vox valvetronix, unless you have some experience making small amps sound large (you'll need more than one mic to do that).

Haven't you got that JCM800 build yet?
Git orffff moi lannnddddd!!

http://www.myspace.com/molotovsexbomb
demonufo
Baron

Postby joshwilson3 on Mon Sep 20, 2010 1:08 am

wolfhead wrote:For what you are talking about I'd check this out: http://line6.com/podstudioux2/ :thumbsup:

I was looking into that. Then read a bunch of problems people having with Windows 7. I'll have to call Line 6 to see if they got the problems fixed.

The one thing I worried about with the UX2, is how good is the recording software? It has Ableton Live Lite. Which I've read was pretty much just a demo. I'd like to figure out if I got the UX2, if I'd then have to get some other recording software?
joshwilson3
Page

Postby joshwilson3 on Mon Sep 20, 2010 1:16 am

demonufo wrote:Yeah. I have to agree that you'll most likely get much better results using modelling that mic'ing up a vox valvetronix, unless you have some experience making small amps sound large (you'll need more than one mic to do that).

Haven't you got that JCM800 build yet?

I like what I'm getting from the Valvetronix. So, I plan on miking it and seeing what I get. They did a pretty good job miking the Valvetronix in the above video. The main thing is I'd like to have enough volume in the recording so you don't have to crank the volume on your radio. There is only going to be guitar recorded. I don't plan on doing any bass or drums.

Do you have a recommendation on recording software? I'd like something that could also clean up any white noise that may get recorded from the amp.

I don't have the JMP 2203 built yet. There was a guy who was gonna make a JMP 2203 chassis clone. Waited a year, then he decided he wasn't gonna do it. Then another guy said he was gonna make one. Waited another year, and that still didn't happen. So, I forgot about it. Plus, I wouldn't hardly get to crank it up anyways.
joshwilson3
Page

Postby wolfhead on Mon Sep 20, 2010 1:43 am

joshwilson3 wrote:The one thing I worried about with the UX2, is how good is the recording software? It has Ableton Live Lite. Which I've read was pretty much just a demo. I'd like to figure out if I got the UX2, if I'd then have to get some other recording software?

If you are only recording guitar not even bass or drums, what else do you need???
wolfhead
Squire

Postby joshwilson3 on Mon Sep 20, 2010 2:17 am

wolfhead wrote:
joshwilson3 wrote:The one thing I worried about with the UX2, is how good is the recording software? It has Ableton Live Lite. Which I've read was pretty much just a demo. I'd like to figure out if I got the UX2, if I'd then have to get some other recording software?

If you are only recording guitar not even bass or drums, what else do you need???

I don't know anything about recording. I had heard the Ableton Live Lite is really limited in being more of a demo.

Yes, I'm just recording guitars. But would still like to be able to cut, edit, etc. and what else I'd need to make a final product. I figure it would be good to find out how limited the Ableton is. As that may mean I get something other than the UX2. I don't even know if I'd even need the Podfarm stuff as I plan on miking my amp. The only thing I could see using would be the clean as my amp doesn't have a good clean. And I might use the effects or something.

I had heard your recordings on Live Lite will just sound like a demo. But whatever I record I plan on it being the final product.
joshwilson3
Page

Postby wolfhead on Mon Sep 20, 2010 4:00 am

Your recordings won't sound any different than any other recording software.
wolfhead
Squire

Postby joshwilson3 on Mon Sep 20, 2010 5:01 am

wolfhead wrote:Your recordings won't sound any different than any other recording software.

I appreciate it. I guess it comes down to if the Ableton Live Lite has enough features to actually be usable. I'd like to also be able to burn CD's and upload to the web. Not sure if the Lite can do that or not. I know alot who use the UX2 use something else like Nuendo or something for recording.

Though, I'm gonna have to call Line 6. As right now they are posting there are alot of problems with the UX2 software and Windows 7.
joshwilson3
Page

Postby onedrum on Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:08 am

go buy one of those handheld stereo digital recorders from zoom or whoever else makes them. cheap, easy, sound fine, voila. done deal.
http://www.myspace.com/theafterbeat Bastardized '87 CSA 4212, 2000 Garnet Mohawk, '60's Kiel modded by the late great Gar Gillies
onedrum
Page

Postby plexi on Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:51 am

Logic, use Mac Pro Video.com to get yourself acquainted and your in. It takes a couple of months and your set. Ask Video has a 4 part series from beginner to advanced but Mac Pro Video has it from start to Finnish for $25 a month. Can't beet it.

Everything I've been recording in in Logic.
plexi
Site Admin

Postby dlvoots on Thu Feb 02, 2012 4:52 pm

joshwilson3 wrote:I like what I'm getting from the Valvetronix. So, I plan on miking it and seeing what I get.

Another option you might consider is to run the amp into an "active dummy load" and take the line out signal from the dummy load into the recording system. Years ago, I built just such a magic box to record my JMI AC30 at volume without my wife throwing me out of the house. If you know which end of the soldering iron to hold on to (HINT: not the hot end), you could probably duplicate mine.

I wrote up a post in December on how it works, how to build it, how to use it, and put it all into the Vox forum. Here's a link to the post:

http://vintageamps.com/plexiboard/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=100184

If you have any questions about it, let me know. With the line out, it works quite nicely into my old Lexicon Omega D/A box. I crank the amp until it sings nicely in its distortion voice and then I attenuate the signal via the Line Out jack until the Lexicon Omega is happy with it. Room ambiance? I record the guitar signal completely dry add it back in during post processing. Works fantastic, and doesn't have any miking issues to go with it.

Dave
dlvoots
Squire

Postby saltydog on Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:51 am

Just my 2 cents regarding modeling and guitar sounds. I bought the Pod UX2 on the advice of a friend who does a lot of computer based recording. He told me the Pod amp sims were pretty good and had a lot of good clean tones. Well, I bought one, mainly as an interface to get mic'd amp and acoustic stuff into the recording sw. Personally, I think the pod sims are not really all that good. Seem to be a bit on the noisy side. Taking a shot in the dark, I went and purchased Guitar Rig 5 Pro. I really like the sounds and tweakabilty. Some good Marshall and Hiwatt sims. Nice complement to mic'd amps.
Cost about 2 bills.
saltydog
Squire

Return to Recording Gear, Mics, Software and Techniques