good OD pedal for 50w Plexi

Some like 'em and some don't, but I bet everyone has at least a couple — Analog Delay, Digital Delay, Reverb, Chorus, Flanger, Phaser, Tube Overdrive, Transistor Overdrive, Fuzz, Octave Fuzz, Tremolo, Vibrato, Compressor and the list goes on!

good OD pedal for 50w Plexi

Postby Pater Familias on Sun Jul 10, 2011 2:45 am

I've got a Fulltone Plimsoul which has just been spectacular in front of every amp I've played it with until now. I just acquired a Germino Club 40 which is essentially a late '60s 50w Plexi. The Plimsoul really sounds harsh with the Club 40.

Anyone have a suggestion on a better OD pedal match for this amp? It's currently loaded with el34 tubes.
Pater Familias
Peasant

Re: good OD pedal for 50w Plexi

Postby 71Rcode on Mon Jul 18, 2011 6:39 pm

I use a fulltone fulldrive (two boost stages) with my '70 50w head and 2x12 cab. I find that I can dial back the first boost level for a nice rounded, smooth tone when I need a touch of OD outside what the amp can do for my on it's own.

I don't think the pedal is harsh at all. Just one guy's opinion ;) You can find 'em on craigslist for under $100 all day long, too.
71Rcode
Page

Postby Roy Boltz on Tue Jul 19, 2011 5:37 pm

Personally, I prefer "dynamic" or what would be considered a "touch sensitive" gain box into an amplifier that isn't itself cranked.
I find the more dynamic the amplifier, which in my experience will yeild it's goodies usually when the amp is at least 3/4 volume, needs a drive that isn't as dynamic.
I personally prefer dynamic drives into a more clean amplifier.
The OCD for instance, can be used into a clean amp & it will give up it's own flavor of dynamic overdrive & it sounds "OK" IMHO into a driven amp, but the more I used the drive on the amp, the less I personally liked the sound of the pedal.
The tubescreamer still remains as my all time favorite gain box as it isn't as dynamic yet will still clean up to a degree as long as the drive on the pedal stays minimal.
At least for what I use a gain box for, I find the dynamic drives are better suited for driving a cleaner amp.
The Plim Soul is about as dynamic as a pedal gets IMO.
Roy Boltz
King

Postby 71Rcode on Tue Jul 19, 2011 7:22 pm

Dang, Roy.. now you've got me scouring CList for a Plim Soul.

Thanks for the very interesting read, btw. I, too, play all nonMV amps (SF fender combos, marshall 4-holers) that are very dynamic in nature. So what you are saying has my wheels churning. I have an OCD pedal on my board, too. But I rarely use it unless we're playing a Weezer song or something that needs to sound thicker/heavier. Perhaps I should replace that with the Plim Soul. Or....bring back my TS-9 and put it on my board as another low-level OD.

I've been using the Fulldrive as my low-level OD and then the boost channel for a lead boost. The OCD was primarily there for a heavier overall sound as needed.

For the record, I don't like playing with a heavy distorted sound and prefer the clean, natural OD of a cranked old amp.
71Rcode
Page

Postby Roy Boltz on Fri Jul 22, 2011 1:24 am

71Rcode wrote:Dang, Roy.. now you've got me scouring CList for a Plim Soul.

Sorry :oops: :lol:

71Rcode wrote:Thanks for the very interesting read, btw. I, too, play all nonMV amps (SF fender combos, marshall 4-holers) that are very dynamic in nature. So what you are saying has my wheels churning. I have an OCD pedal on my board, too. But I rarely use it unless we're playing a Weezer song or something that needs to sound thicker/heavier. Perhaps I should replace that with the Plim Soul. Or....bring back my TS-9 and put it on my board as another low-level OD.

I think TS into hard working JMP/JCM 2204 is about as close as it gets for Weezer or Greenday, in my humble opinion.

71Rcode wrote:I've been using the Fulldrive as my low-level OD and then the boost channel for a lead boost. The OCD was primarily there for a heavier overall sound as needed.

For the record, I don't like playing with a heavy distorted sound and prefer the clean, natural OD of a cranked old amp.

I tried a Fulldrive II & I just couldn't warm up to it.
I also have the same fondness for the amplifier's own overdrive for the most part as well & I usually use pedals for lead sounds & special effects.
Years ago it started out as a SD-1 into a Marshall 800 50 watt which was kind of the standard back in the 80's, then I got snobby & got into boogies/racks which didn't need no stinking overdrives..LOL :lol:
Then it was back to Marshalls but early metal panels & I got into attenuating & running rack effects into wet dry rigs.

I finally have a Plexi 100 watt & Jubilee, which will pretty well cover any Marshall type sound I choose & I've never been happier with my sound.
The Jubilee is almost an instrument in itself as it seems to play itself it's so effortless to get great sustain with this amp, probably because the circuit is much like a pedal driving the preamp when in the lead channel.
I believe the Jubilee isn't realy a two channel amp at all but essentially a cascade gain stage preamp. :?
Roy Boltz
King

Postby Tman on Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:29 pm

IMHO nothing works better pushing a 4-holer than a nice MIJ SD-1. They seem made for each other. Dial the volume up 3/4 to full, Drive on zero or just a hair above and tone to taste and you are all set.
Tman
Knight

Postby Pacafeliz on Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:45 pm

Tman wrote:IMHO nothing works better pushing a 4-holer than a nice MIJ SD-1. They seem made for each other. Dial the volume up 3/4 to full, Drive on zero or just a hair above and tone to taste and you are all set.

you took the words outta my mouth!!! :lol:
i've got a beat to crap 1st year SD-1 (and a few other vintages) and i'll NEVER stop using that one. - even the more recent ones sound great!
works great on fenders, sound citys (sic), accoustics and eveything else!!!

don't buy the boutique hype.
the answer's right there in front of you.

Pat.
oaklandanny too wrote:Pat...
This is way late in posting... but I want to say that she's beautiful, man!!! You are blessed and the world will be a better place because of your little girl. Mark my words... She will live in a better world than we live in now... because she will help change it. God bless!!!!

RIP OaklandDanny, thanks for EVERYTHING! God bless you, always!
Pacafeliz
King

Postby swededane1 on Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:15 am

I find the 1st Edition Marshall Shredmaster pedal and / or the 1st edition Marshall Blues breaker are both pedals that serve any Marshall well. A good friend of mine who owns a five thousand 1968 12000 series Marshall P.A. 100 watt amp. Same as the superlead or Superbass minus a resistor or two or cap. Of course If you know Marshall vintage amps you know how to get these Marshalls how to sound they you want them to through a little tech. knowledge.

BUT . My friend who also went for the super vintage 1960s famous years of the Marshalls found that after trying SOOO MANY pedals found that the above pedals I mentioned sounded the BEST with these amps .These were Non Master Volume amps . The Master volume marshalls also can be boosted well by these pedals . Ive heard it first hand many times thru those amps .Yes they sound great! .My choice .
swededane1
Peasant

Postby Strat59 on Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:36 pm

I don't think Classic Marshall were designed for O/D pedals pushing the front end. They are made for power tube overdrive. A straight Treble Booster
can help. I found the DAM Red Rooster excellent. An O/D pedal kinda defeats the purpose of a Non MV Marshall. An Attenuator would be better with
those.

I think Gary Moore made great use of the old Marshall Blues Breaker. I had an Orig version many years ago , didn't do anything for me. Sold it off.
But each to their own.

Greg Germino builds superb recreations of Plexi Era amps. He has deep knowledge having serviced Real Plexis for years before becoming a builder.
Super helpful guy , I'd shoot him an email and ask his advice. He's very obliging.
"Blues players don't mess around with a guitar, they hit the bloody thing"........ Rory Gallagher
Strat59
Baron

Postby gigant0r on Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:35 am

OCD is my first choice
gigant0r
Baron

Postby BIG Dave on Mon Nov 21, 2011 6:44 pm

I use overdrive pedals into non Master Volume Marshalls however I use these pedals with the GAIN (DISTORTION) turned down to about 25% and the LEVEL (OUTPUT) turned up to about 75%. So I'm basically hitting the front end of the amp with a much hotter signal and not introducing much distortion from within the pedal itself. I usually hit the pedal for leads. This works well for me with most OD pedals such as TS-9, KLON, Fulldrive, etc...
BIG Dave
Knight

Postby Rick@Skyway on Tue Nov 22, 2011 3:19 am

TS808 > Hotcake > amp.

Tried and True.
Rick@Skyway
Page

Return to Effects and the Signal Chain