ac 30 weber build

AC4, AC10, AC10 Twin, AC10 Reverb Twin, AC15, AC15 Twin, AC30 Twin, AC30 Super Twin, Top-Boost, Non-Top-Boost, AC50, AC100, 710, 760, 7120

ac 30 weber build

Postby sligo on Sun Feb 19, 2012 3:18 pm

Hi new to the forum wanted to ask if anybody has built the weber ac 30 kit just ordered one and wanted to get any word on this beast looks like a tough build thanks Sligo
sligo
Peasant

Re: ac 30 weber build

Postby Masco on Tue Feb 21, 2012 5:39 pm

Traditional style AC30 builds aren't easy. The Weber kit looks particularly busy compared to JMI layout, just MO.

Are you from Wheaton/SilverSpring?
Masco
Baron

Postby sligo on Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:38 pm

yes im in Bethesda
sligo
Peasant

Postby sligo on Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:39 pm

what is the jmi layout or should i say where
sligo
Peasant

Postby sligo on Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:40 pm

ok i found jmi they were the original vox cool website thanks
sligo
Peasant

Postby Unit_1 on Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:20 pm

Masco wrote:Traditional style AC30 builds aren't easy. The Weber kit looks particularly busy compared to JMI layout, just MO.

uhhh.... how in the world did you just guess where sligo lives? i have fairly good esp, but crimeny that's incredible...

and, i'd LOVE to see a jmi ac30 layout, since i have ac30 on my LONG to do list, but i can only find where they're selling amps....

got any links to any layouts we can view??? :-)
The ability to play/make music is a gift that not everyone gets. Those of us who have it should use it.

Asimov:Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today — but the core of science fiction, its essence, the concept around which it revolves, has become crucial to our salvation if we are to be saved at all.
Unit_1
Prince

Location: Kali4ñia (a small planet orbiting the west coast of the United States)

Postby grod915 on Wed Feb 22, 2012 7:10 am

(1998)AC30 Korg RI TBX
AC30CCH
(1965?)Berkeley Tube Head & Cab
2 Berkeley SS Heads (Pending Restor.)
Buckingham Cab
Chupy ate my mullards!
grod915
Page

Postby torg on Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:30 am

Here's AC30/6 layout, I hope it helps
Attachments
JMIeraVOXac30layout.zip
ac30/6 layout
(68.76 KiB) Downloaded 142 times
Facebook Page with my amp plans
torg
Peasant

Postby Masco on Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:54 pm

Unit_1 wrote:
Masco wrote:Traditional style AC30 builds aren't easy. The Weber kit looks particularly busy compared to JMI layout, just MO.

uhhh.... how in the world did you just guess where sligo lives? i have fairly good esp, but crimeny that's incredible...

and, i'd LOVE to see a jmi ac30 layout, since i have ac30 on my LONG to do list, but i can only find where they're selling amps....

got any links to any layouts we can view??? :-)

Sligo is a suburb of Washington DC, where I was born and raised. Also I've seen this "kitster" builder on other forums with the name Sligo and I figured that this was probably the dude. Welcome to the forum Sligo!!!
When I speak of AC-30 layouts, I'm generally speaking of chassis photos of circuitry.
Stephen's AC-30 guide that grod915 mentions is the only compiled layout drawings of AC-30s I've ever seen, but it's still good to look at chassis photos if you want to get a better vision of how the lead dress is done.
Masco
Baron

Postby sligo on Wed Feb 22, 2012 5:43 pm

Yes Sligo is my nickname and I own Sligo amps we do very upgraded ( i upgrade them myself to get the best possible build )kits almost all with mercury trannys and the name originated with the Sligo creek the ax. 30 is proably the only classic I haven't tackled really looking forward to the build I'll post some pics etc when I'm finished thanks
sligo
Peasant

Postby dlvoots on Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:39 pm

Masco wrote:I've seen this "kitster" builder on other forums with the name Sligo and I figured that this was probably the dude.

Dang! And here I thought Masco had some kind of extra sensory perception thing going...

Welcome Silgo from me too. Can't tell you much about the Weber kit (although you piqued my interest and I had to go look), but I can offer you my decades-old experience as a guideline.

Sometime around 1995 I built / rebuilt an AC30/6 from scratch on a gutted JMI chassis. Wasn't aware you could get cool things like close-to-the-original tag boards or anything like it -- just found sockets, caps and tubes off the infant internet and started building it ham-radio style with terminal strips and point to point wiring. I used a power transformer from an old stereo amp, wound my own 5 volt transformer for the rectifier and re-purposed an output transformer from another stereo.

Couldn't stomach trying to build the AC30 vibrato circuit (never used it on my JMI AC30 anyway), so I turned the Vibrato channel into a Tweed Champ preamp and put a Vibro-Champ tremolo circuit on it. Gave me another cool voice on the same amp to play with.

All in all, it took me approximately six weeks of couple-of-hours-an-evening evenings, with minimal activity on weekends. As Masco said, it's a pain in the neck but it sure felt good when I powered it up and it actually worked. Let me know if you have any questions about it.

Dave
dlvoots
Squire

Postby torg on Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:55 pm

Hi, new one here.

Me and very kind UK owner of AC30/6 did detailed replica layout of Bass version (3 caps needs to be swapped for 'normal' version). For some reason my message with attachment wont show up.

If you want it, PM me your email info,

Otherwise you can also find it @ freestompboxes forum here

Best wishes
p

EDIT: It did show up few post up ;) Enjoy
torg
Peasant

Postby Masco on Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:46 pm

torg wrote:Hi, new one here.

Otherwise you can also find it @ freestompboxes forum here

Welcome torg!

Great layout! Twist those heater wires!

I dug up an old Weber 6V30 schematic and noticed there are a few component mistakes: C-20 should be 500pF(not .0022) and R-57 & R-60 should be 180k(not 100k). Don't know if Weber changed these values in a newer version, I don't believe they are posting the schematics anymore on their site...
Masco
Baron

Postby torg on Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:48 pm

Welcome torg!

Great layout! Twist those heater wires!

I've pointed out in our document that all wiring containing AC voltage should be twisted. Software I was using wont let me to do it

EDIT: one more thing. Component numbers wont match component numbering in factory schematic. Was to hard to read. I'll post the schemo with matching numbering when I'll be back on my main PC
torg
Peasant

Postby sligo on Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:59 pm

Wow thanks for all the help you guys are much help :Really appreciate it
sligo
Peasant

Next

Return to Vox