One for the very early Marshall experts

Hosted by Marshall Founding Father G3SDW. Discuss JTM45, JTM50, JTM100, Bluesbreaker, Super Lead, Super Bass, 200W, 100W, 50W, 20W, Plexi Panels, Metal Panels, 4x12 straight, 4x12 slant, Pinstripe, Basketweave, Checkerboard, Park, Kitchen-Marshall and Narb

One for the very early Marshall experts

Postby rlivesey on Wed May 30, 2012 2:46 pm

A good friend of mine locally has just picked up this amp. It is housed in a homemade cab at the moment, but it shows all the signs of being a very early JTM45. Can any of you shed any light on it?

He's checked all the values and it matches exactly an early JTM45 he owned a few years ago, even down to Mullard diodes of the same type etc. All the caps and pots are RS.

Here's one pic follwed by a link to 14 in a gallery. All input welcome.

http://www.roblivesey.com/download

Cheers,
Rob.
rlivesey
Page

Re: One for the very early Marshall experts

Postby Strat59 on Wed May 30, 2012 3:31 pm

Interesting one. 100% Not a Marshall for mine. But what it is ??? Parmeko Trannie. R/S O/T :?
"Blues players don't mess around with a guitar, they hit the bloody thing"........ Rory Gallagher
Strat59
Baron

Postby superstar on Wed May 30, 2012 3:50 pm

interesting find.

perhaps the front panel has been changed from the original and the polarity switch has been removed ?

have you tried emailing marshall about it?
superstar
Knight

Postby bigtomrodney on Wed May 30, 2012 5:41 pm

I bet this is legititmate. Legitimate and early.
bigtomrodney
Court Jester

Postby appetite4distortion on Wed May 30, 2012 5:47 pm

Talk about rare stuff!! Let us be updated on this small big treasure :cheers:
Proud to be loud
appetite4distortion
Certified

Postby tommie on Wed May 30, 2012 6:25 pm

I had a snipe set for that one, but not high enough.

It shares a huge amount of similarities with early Marshalls, including mine, just never seen a front panel exactly like that, nor the Parmeko PT.

It'll be good to see what Ken U makes of this one. I'm prepared to be amazed!
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
tommie
Baron

Postby Alnico on Wed May 30, 2012 6:51 pm

tommie wrote:I had a snipe set for that one, but not high enough.

It shares a huge amount of similarities with early Marshalls, including mine, just never seen a front panel exactly like that, nor the Parmeko PT.

It'll be good to see what Ken U makes of this one. I'm prepared to be amazed!

I was outbid too - didn't want to put too much on it without having seeing the inside. Ken's opinion will be interesting - I wonder if it was made by the same team, but for direct sale to someone, not for Marshall?
Alnico
Knight

Postby superstar on Wed May 30, 2012 7:10 pm

got a link to the auction? i completely missed it.

edit: just seen it. nice score for someone :lol: try finding a description of the item in all that spiel :roll:
superstar
Knight

Postby LD50 on Wed May 30, 2012 8:19 pm

Ha! We are all coming out of the woodwork!

I bid too - not seriously (too much stuff and although I was pretty sure it was an early chassis and OT was not sure about the guts). The close spaced inputs had me intrigued.

Now I have seen inside I wish I had gone a lot higher :oops:
All bleeding stops.......eventually.
LD50
Prince

Postby drewleslie on Wed May 30, 2012 9:57 pm

Hey tommie, any chance of seeing a few pix of yours? Or a link maybe?
How can you tell the difference between a chemist and a plumber? Ask them to pronounce 'unionized'.
drewleslie
Knight

Postby G3SDW on Wed May 30, 2012 10:05 pm

I Must admit this one has got me beat but one thing is for sure that it is from the Marshall stable, for me the give away is the presence control. This was introduced by Ken Bran because he thought at the time it would get around the patent problem but as we know now there was not a patent on the Fender Bassman.

It is of course possible that it was one of the prototypes that Dudley played around with, but then why has it got KT66 fitted, they came later, odd one.

Regards

Ken Underwood
G3SDW
Marshall Founding Father

Postby tommie on Wed May 30, 2012 10:55 pm

drewleslie wrote:Hey tommie, any chance of seeing a few pix of yours? Or a link maybe?

Here's the guts, note the 7 hole board, the actual components, the way the pre sockets have grounding wires and rubber grommets, the wiring colours, and the method of wrapping the component legs round the turrets while the leads are fed up through the turret from beneath. Identical in every way.

The folded chassis, the smaller pots and that PT are all different though, as is the lack of polarity switch. Also curious are the screen printed OT base rather than paper label, and the adjustable bias which all would suggest something slightly later than we've come to assume from the known examples.

Here's another bombshell - mine came with a set of knobs I'd never seen before, so I replaced them with the copper ring style. The ones I took off are the same as these (I still have them though)!

tommie
Baron

Postby tommie on Wed May 30, 2012 11:05 pm

G3SDW wrote:I Must admit this one has got me beat but one thing is for sure that it is from the Marshall stable, for me the give away is the presence control. This was introduced by Ken Bran because he thought at the time it would get around the patent problem but as we know now there was not a patent on the Fender Bassman.

It is of course possible that it was one of the prototypes that Dudley played around with, but then why has it got KT66 fitted, they came later, odd one.

Regards

Ken Underwood

In the eBay auction it had EL34's, which I would gave assumed to be non original anyway.
tommie
Baron

Postby Ned B on Thu May 31, 2012 3:06 am

It really strikes me as legit despite that maybe there would be some questions like why not the internal anchors. I wonder if all the prototypes even had head cads made. I would love to hear how this one sounds.
Ned B
Baron

Postby Strat59 on Thu May 31, 2012 7:51 am

Found some scant info on Parmeko - Atlantic Series - Transformers. Apparently made up to 1960.

Could it be a Prototype where they played around with varying mains trannies , this being one type tested ? or is it a custom bitsa build from back in the day ??

The plot thickens..................... Listing said - Not Working

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-Custo ... on-Valve...
"Blues players don't mess around with a guitar, they hit the bloody thing"........ Rory Gallagher
Strat59
Baron

Next

Return to Marshall