One for the very early Marshall experts

Hosted by Marshall Founding Father G3SDW. Discuss JTM45, JTM50, JTM100, Bluesbreaker, Super Lead, Super Bass, 200W, 100W, 50W, 20W, Plexi Panels, Metal Panels, 4x12 straight, 4x12 slant, Pinstripe, Basketweave, Checkerboard, Park, Kitchen-Marshall and Narb

Re: One for the very early Marshall experts

Postby G3SDW on Sat Jun 02, 2012 10:21 am

Sadly no one who was there from the beginning is left, i cannot give any info in that respect as it would have been just after my time, only a shame that Dudley is not with us any more as he would have been directly involved with this very piece of kit.

Regards

Ken Underwood
G3SDW
Marshall Founding Father

Postby Strat59 on Sat Jun 02, 2012 2:50 pm

G3SDW wrote:Sadly no one who was there from the beginning is left, i cannot give any info in that respect as it would have been just after my time, only a shame that Dudley is not with us any more as he would have been directly involved with this very piece of kit.

Regards

Ken Underwood

:thumbsup: Thanks Ken , sadly yes. Such a shame he was lost to us all for so long. Now there's an Interview about those early days I would have loved
to have read.
"Blues players don't mess around with a guitar, they hit the bloody thing"........ Rory Gallagher
Strat59
Baron

Postby 908ssp on Sat Jun 02, 2012 3:29 pm

I certainly don't KNOW one way or another but don't see any real reason to presume it is not just a very early and well done copy. We do copies today that are hard to separate from the real thing I can't see why it would have been any different years ago.
Alex
908ssp
Prince

Postby OldSchoolDave on Sat Jun 02, 2012 4:10 pm

908ssp wrote:I certainly don't KNOW one way or another but don't see any real reason to presume it is not just a very early and well done copy. We do copies today that are hard to separate from the real thing I can't see why it would have been any different years ago.

Point taken but, if one were to fake an early Marshall, I would think they'd choose a more definitive model.

Seems like a long shot to fake a prototype (and hope they got close enough)...

Just my two cents,
Dave
...Hey! I played that song when it was new...
http://www.OldSchoolDave.com
OldSchoolDave
Prince

Postby Ned B on Sun Jun 03, 2012 1:35 am

It doesn't seem to me that copies of Marshalls would have been happening this early. I would think it might have been a prototype that stayed around the shop for a time to eperiment with and or to use as a reference. It may have not had a head cap made for it. It seems to conform to the early wiring technique and have the right parts for that era.
Ned B
Baron

Postby Strat59 on Sun Jun 03, 2012 7:18 am

It does appear to conform , were the old Twin Mains Trannie Marshalls - Parmeko Trannies ? This one has the folded and bolt hole drilled chassis
of the later JTM-45 chassis. Hard to pinpoint where it fits in the scheme of things. One thing is certain my friend I showed the pics to in Australia who
has been going to the UK for over 35 yrs on Marshall buying trips did see the same (Marshall) as this with the Black Panel & same knobs back in the '80s
over there.

Wouldn't think it worth anyones while copying Marshall back then (unless it was Tom Jennings) Vox used Parmeko Trannies , trying to combat the
onslaught of the mighty Marshall on his Vox landscape. :laff:
"Blues players don't mess around with a guitar, they hit the bloody thing"........ Rory Gallagher
Strat59
Baron

Postby Kuli on Sun Jun 03, 2012 12:06 pm

tommie wrote:No, I think Kuli means these...

Yes Tommie, that is the ones I mean - wouldn't you say that if this amp is really a prototype, it would have been installed with caps like these? I have an old '61 Selmer Twin Selectortone 30 which was full of these caps and most of them had gone bad, so I changed them all out with mustards - maybe the same thing happened here and the caps was all changed?

Indeed a very interesting amp! Hope we can get some more and very detailed pictures too!
'66 JTM 45
'66 JTM 45/100
'68 1959T Super Tremolo
'69 1987 Lead
'69 Royal Purple 1960B basketweave
'70 4x12" Park blue basketweave
Kuli
Knight

Postby Banker on Sun Jun 03, 2012 1:58 pm

Knobs are unusual and correct for early examples.
When only pinstripe will do.
Banker
Squire

Postby LD50 on Sun Jun 03, 2012 1:59 pm

Tommie - do you think those moulded Dubilier caps were original or replacements in your amp?

The thing I noticed about the paper ones is how tight the space is on a 7-hole board using the wrapping around the turrets method. I have the later small grey moulded RS caps in my spares box (in the 67 amp pic from drewlwslie) but I am looking to produce the original sounds that these made as much as it looking right (ie like this one in the thread) so I had not planned on using them (or Mustards).

I can see Alex's point of view but to me it looks very much as if it came from the Marshall prototype line rather than someones copy of a prototype.
All bleeding stops.......eventually.
LD50
Prince

Postby superstar on Sun Jun 03, 2012 2:38 pm

why not research where it has come from and see if theres a link?

ask the ebay seller where he got it, then ask relatives etc of the previous owner etc, might turn up something interesting, or even some hard evidence.

the ebay seller looks like a house clearance place, or looks as though he buys from house clearance auctions.
superstar
Knight

Postby tommie on Mon Jun 04, 2012 3:22 pm

LD50 wrote:Tommie - do you think those moulded Dubilier caps were original or replacements in your amp?.

Original, I'm sure of it. The solder joints are all neat and consistent, no sign of tampering.

NB the other pic I posted with the larger caps is another amp altogether.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
tommie
Baron

Postby spaman on Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:14 am

Strat59 wrote:Interesting one. 100% Not a Marshall for mine. But what it is ??? Parmeko Trannie. R/S O/T :?

100% DEFINITELY from Marshall stable! I'm the owner of the this chassis and there is NO doubt its not a clone,copy etc. Also no doubt that it was made in the 1960s. Its all original and untouched apart from the bias slider (& resistor) that I reckon was done by Marshall later in the '60s. Predates any production models,coffin logo etc-more pics posted soon-been offered 6K so far
spaman
Peasant

Postby LD50 on Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:35 pm

spaman wrote:
Strat59 wrote:Interesting one. 100% Not a Marshall for mine. But what it is ??? Parmeko Trannie. R/S O/T :?

100% DEFINITELY from Marshall stable! I'm the owner of the this chassis and there is NO doubt its not a clone,copy etc. Also no doubt that it was made in the 1960s. Its all original and untouched apart from the bias slider (& resistor) that I reckon was done by Marshall later in the '60s. Predates any production models,coffin logo etc-more pics posted soon-been offered 6K so far

I agree.

Well done on winning the auction :mrgreen: Shame I did not have more confidence from the limited pics on the auction :( .

Have you switched it on and played it properly? If so how does it sound c/w later 45s?
All bleeding stops.......eventually.
LD50
Prince

Postby beaulieu on Wed Sep 26, 2012 3:59 am

how much was this bought for? man wished i'd seen it.
Mark
69 "Real"Plexi 1992
73 1987
68 1987/86 build NOS parts
12000 series build NOS parts
2554 (Black)Jubilee
7 4x12 cabs left LOL
71LesPaul deluxe
2 Charvels
2 GSXR 1000's
2 PitBUlls (pets)
MXR pedals